Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
tesla

Kitchen Backsplash Questions

Installing a kitchen back splash with 6 x 6 ceramic tiles in a diamond pattern and 3 x 3 mosaic glass tile inserts spread out at various places over the field. I'm working on a 2 ft long area adjoining a right angle wall that is about 2 feet as well. I positioned my tile on one side in a way to center my glass tile but in order to center the glass tile mosaic on the adjoining wall it will cause the corner to unwrap. In other words, it will not look like one wall is an extension of the other and looks like no consideration was given of how the tile flows into each other. So the question is which is a lesser of 2 evils, center the glass tile or wrap the corners properly (but having glass tile off center). I have pictures but the site tells me that I'm not allowed to have links in my post. I have pics at another forum but not sure if its kosher to reference the forum.

Thanks for any help.
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Barry,

This is a personal choice. Can't help much with that except to say:

1- If the grout is nearly or very close to the tile color, the non-wrap will not stand out so much.
2- 99% of people will not notice either way.
3- a coffee pot or toaster hides a lot of sins
4- how bad is your OCD? can you live with a non wrapped corner?

In my personal bathroom I have absolute black inset diamonds in a beige granite set at a diagonal. Since the 90 year old walls are out of plumb, and I wanted the dots centered on the end walls (along with the plumbing) I went for non wrapped corners. Unless you stare at it, you can't really tell the wrapping is off by a smidge, depending on how crooked the walls are at that point.
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

It's best to post your pics directly here so they will stay forever (or as long as this forum anyhow). You will be able to add links once you've posted a few times. In the meantime you can add them as text and one of the nice moderators can light them up for you.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

We prefer the pics to be posted here so they can be seen forever.

If the links get un-linked ( I am so not computy smart) then the pics can't be seen on this forum.

Unread 12-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
tesla

Paul, I couldn't see unwrapped corners. Very nice job there. Unfortunately we have white tiles with gray grout and it really stands out.....my wife says to leave it alone. My OCD is at a fever pitch right now but it will fade into something else to obsess about. However, at best it will still remain an irritant until I sell the house one day.
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Barry,

You answered your own question right there;

Whatever Mrs Barry wants is always the right choice.

Unread 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
tesla

How many posts do I need before adding links?
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
tesla

Still unable to post pictures but can send the links....here ya go.

The lines are off but you can still get the picture of how I want to wrap it.....glass tile will be close to the outlet.
http://picasaweb.google.com/barrykai...35065841494642

http://picasaweb.google.com/barrykai...64792628129490

This is an example of why its important to wrap your tiles especially with contrasting grout. I will probably cut it out and start over on the left wall.
http://picasaweb.google.com/barrykai...35065841494642
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
bbcamp

Barry, before you do that, consider how your tile will look at the front edge. The way you have it is good, because that is more visible than the corner. Like Paul said, some countertop appliance will probably go in the corner, so most of it will be covered. If you were considering changing something, I think it might be the layout of the back wall. But again, there is the other end to consider and of course, the location of outlets and your inserts.

Layout is all about making compromises. There are a lot of rules to guide you, but the only one you can't break is that the final product must look good.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Barry,

From those pics, why don't you just wrap the corner like usual? The inset on the left wall will just move over half a tile, since it isn't centered, does that matter?

Unread 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
tesla

Quote:
From those pics, why don't you just wrap the corner like usual? The inset on the left wall will just move over half a tile, since it isn't centered, does that matter?
That's the plan. I was originally so focused on spacing the inserts a certain distance, I didn't notice what I was doing where the walls meet. Glass tile will look better centered anyway.

Here is the next question (its starting to feel like I should hire a pro for a consultation). In the pictures below you can see that there is a 6 inch section between the bar and the main wall. I didn't want to end a full and half piece tiles next to that area because of where the glass tile insert placements (see blue tape) are as you can see in the second picture. There is also concern about the piece under the bar flowing into that area. The section under the bar was 6 large pieces fitting perfectly end to end....the other section at the end was 5 3/4th pieces. Any ideas on how to design this?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 12-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Barry,

Why not switch to another tile? If these sizes are giving you such problems, then another pattern may be the answer.

OR

Lay the field tiles recto-linear, (not diagonal) then the inset will be on the diagonal

OR

A new sized field tile

Just thinking outloud

Unread 12-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
tesla

Paul, all are good ideas but I've got one complete wall done so I'm committed to this tile and design.
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
tesla

Remove Sheetrock Backsplash with Tile

I need to remove the tile from the section pictured (didn't wrap the corners). After trying to remove tile applied with thinset in another area and seeing the resulting damage, I've decided it would be easier to remove the sheetrock with the tile on it. What would be the best way to go about it? Sink is on the other side of the kitchen so water is not a problem.......should I get sheetrock again to replace it?

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
TheIcon

I really don't think there is an easy/clean way of removal assuming the drywall is screwed to the studs.

If it were me I would most likely score around the tile as deep as possible and lay something on the countertop if you are trying to salvage it to protect it and start hammering away. If you remove the drywall you will need to replace it.

Maybe the pros will have a better suggestions.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase