Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
Chuck'nTexas

Question Granite to End Grain Plywood and Sealer for the Granite

I have to cut off a radius corner (resulting in a straight edge) of a laminate countertop and attach granite for the drip edge for a cabinet top I am installing. I was advised by cx to ask advice about how to attach the granite to the end grain of the plywood where the radius was cut off.
We are afraid that inch and a half CBU might not hold up. One person suggested latex primer, another recommended epoxy between the wood and granite. Just looking for some sound advice on this.
I also would like to solicit a recommendation as to what kind of sealer to use on this granite. It doesn't have a name that I can find but it does get darker when it gets wet. If TYW offers a suitable sealer please let me know which one to use. Thanks a lot!
Chuck'nTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-06-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
bbcamp

Screw and glue a strip of wood to the underside of the countertop. The thickness should be whatever necessary to give you the drop you want, and the width should be at least 1-1/2"(wider is better). Attach the backerboard to this strip, using thinset and screws or nails. If you choose to nail the backer into the plywood, try to stay below the center of the plywood, to keep from buckling the top plys. Install the tiles as usuall. You will have to support them until the thinset cures.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

See, Chuck, I tole you some folks would say that.

I see two problems with that, Bob. First, cutting CBU (I'm most familiar with Hardi) that thin and ending up with a srtucturally sound piece is gonna be difficult, at best.

Second, using thinset to adhere it to a raw plywood edge is not gonna be useful. I know you are recommending nails or screws also (see first problem), but I think construction adhesive would be of more value in this situation.

My actual recommendation to Chuck was that he just cut a clean edge and use a good epoxy to adhere the stone piece directly to that edge. I've seen many tile edges fall off in my time, all had been thinset to a wood edge. I re-atached each one with epoxy. No call-backs to date.

I had never heard of the latex primer thing. Apparently the big-box person also told Chuck that (latex primer) was a superior method to use when tiling directly over plywood floors. And it weren't Homer this time.

How say youins others?

Bob: If you think this should be hashed out over to the Hangout, please to move us, eh?
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Now see what you started, Chuck? Shame on you. You have the guys arguing again. I may have to take a vote and then run you out of town.

Epoxy will certainly work. Can't argue with that.

But I think a skinny piece of Hardi can be bonded onto the edge grain with hi-flex thin set, too.

I'll see y'all in the deep end if somebody starts sumthin'.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase