Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
KenH83

Granite Mosaic Sheet Problem

Hello all, hoping for some advice here..

Picked up a residential job (first in a long time, mostly commercial work here) with 2' x 2' granite slaps for the tops and 1' x 1' mosaic sheets for the backsplash.

We started work on the backsplace and in between each mosaic sheet there is a plastic film so the pieces dont get scratched during shipping.. Pretty common practice with high polished stones.

Onto the problem.. We had 5 boxes, 10 pieces in a box and we were only able to peel this film off the back on 6 pieces! It appears to me that when the mosaics were meshed and glued to keep the tiles together, they packaged them too soon and the plastic film between each later got bonded to the mesh netting of the mosaic.

We called the distributor of the tile (The Tile Shop, which blows in my opinion) and they suggested we try to melt the plastic film off the mesh backing. We tried and all that did was screw up the grout joints of the mosaic because we melted the mesh (thats suppose to stay) in the process. We had our objections to doing this method but in the end it didnt turn out.

Please help I hope you understand my question
KenH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
KenH83

This here is the tile in question.

I really hope everyone understands my question and can offer some help.

The main problem right now is the home owners want the job done by christmas but thats not gonna happen since the new product is not available for a week.

The only thing we could really do is melt the plastic of all the backs of each sheet and cut the sheets into individual pieces and set them.
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Razor blade?
Would MEK or some other chemical glue dissolving type stuff work? Wiped on with a rag of course. Never seen this one before. Can you get the place to replace the mosaic? That would be the easiest. Tell them the sheets are unacceptable in their condition. If your given a box that's all broken up they take those back. Forget the first part about work. Make them replace the stuff.
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
scuttlebuttrp

This is their screwup; and it's called overnight shipping.
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
KenH83

Yah, I agree that the manufacture/distributor screwed up.

We think it would be time well wasted to set each piece individually so we're not really willing to try and use a chemical on the back to remove the packing film, in case it also dissolves the mesh backing (thats suppose to be there). Any give in it is gonna make the sheet just look really whacked out.

Apparently overnight shipping doesn't exists at the Tile Shop for 5 boxes of tile.

Homeowner is pretty ticked off!
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
KenH83

On some of them it appears when they adhered the mesh backing (thats suppose to be there) they didnt allow it to dry/cure properly before packaging. It seems weird maybe, but some of these plastic film packing things are 100% stuck on, with no area even coming up slightly.

We obviously can't set with this plastik packing film on the backs of them, am I correct?

the 2' x 2' granite slabs for the tops had the same plastic film between each piece, and didnt even need to be peeled off, cuz they fell right off.

what a stupid mess.
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
scuttlebuttrp

Sorry I didn't see it was on the back. I only see that stuff between the faces. If raising hell won't work, make sure you tell evryone about the wonderful service you were given; and use lots of spacers.
Unread 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
KenH83

With the mosaic's and the field 2' x 2' slabs, each tile or mosaic were packaged in the same fashion. Bottom Top, Bottom Top, Bottom Top. None of the finished sides were touching another finished side. Each row had some of this "plastic film" between them so the surfaces did not get scratched.
Unread 12-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
jerrymlr1

The glue used for the mesh these days is generally vinyl acetate. It can be softened with water but not dissolved. You could try to get some clear adhesive plastic, adhere it to the face, wet the back of the tile and remove the backing. Then you could set the tile with the plastic on the face and remove it when it is set. Staples or Office Depot should have the plastic. I've worked with the mesh adhesive and done plenty of research on the VA adhesive. There are not many options. Chemical options are out though. Big time messy.
That's what I would do if your not up for waiting on replacement tile. Either that or pick away ayt the plastic. Good luck.
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
KenH83

I had a revelation in my sleep last night to try a wire grill brush, i'm on lunch to report that it is successful for removing the packing film.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase