Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Cheryl S

Question Master bath waterproofing questions

Hi, great site. We are starting a bathroom remodel in a few weeks, and we have some questions. We've done four or five tiling projects before, but never in a really wet environment. I checked the Deflecto and we're fine for ceramic tile. We're ripping out the old tub and tile and replacing it with a 34x60 shower. We're planning on using solid surface pan, then 1/2" cbu on the walls (taped and mudded), Redgard, then tile. On the floor in front of the shower and around the toilet, I was planning on using 1/4" cbu and Redgard. I like the idea of Ditra (who wants to carry cbu up a few flights?), but we already know how to use cbu, and we don't like a lot of learning curves.

Will the Redgard on the floor do the trick to waterproof it? My biggest concern is the area where the floor meets the pan, since the pan will sit directly on the plywood subfloor. We are also going to build in some niches on the back and side walls. Is there any difference in performance between Redgard and felt/plastic in this instance. We will have four small body sprays on the front wall, in addition to the shower head. Also, any pointers for ensuring the drain doesn't leak?

I know you guys like tiled floors, and I do to. However, we seem to have bad luck with contractors (even I know water can't drain uphill!) , and since we will do the walls ourselves, I'm afraid that any leaks that develop will be passed off as the fault of our tiling job on the walls. We like in Washington D.C., so I don't think the cost of the solid surface pan (400-600) is going to be more than having a mud floor made.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Cheryl
Cheryl S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Cheryl,

So water doesn't flow up hill ??? hmmm..... just kidding.

Lessee a solid surface pan is fine. Just make sure it is bedded properly. I have used mud to bed solid surface pans in the past. Dry pack to be specific.

Redguard does have waterproofing capabilitites whereas felt or a sheet of plastic on the studs just protects the studs from vapor transmission. They aren't water proof.

Ditra may be your best bet because you roll it out and thinset it. What's not to like about that. Versus nailing and thinsetting CBU?

Ensuring the drain doesn't leak is best done by checking it to make sure it is assembled properly in the beginning. A leak test would do the job.

Good luck.
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Cheryl S

Master bath

Thanks, Steven. I think I'll look into Ditra. Sounds a lot easier on the back.

Regards, Cheryl
Cheryl S is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase