Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-31-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
Cajun1

Any suggestions or critiques on my first shower build?

Hi, just recently found this forum from another plumbing forum that I frequent.
My wife and I are finishing up a house we’ve been building, mostly by ourselves.
I have no experience in most of the things we’ve done so far, but have been eager to learn new skills and it has been rewarding. With a lot of help from people like this forum it’s been possible and we are very grateful for the time that the experts share online.
With that said, it’s time to start on one of the more intimidating parts to me, the custom tile shower. I’ve been doing a lot of research on best techniques and there seem to be many opinions and differences on how people do things. Hopefully I’ve got a plan that will end with a functioning shower that doesn’t leak. I’m posting to get tips and guidance from those with the experience in this area. Thank you in advance.

Our shower space is 42”x44” stud to stud and 9’ ceiling on a concrete slab.
Here is my plan so far:
1.) Fill in drain box out area with mortar to make it flush with slab surface.
2.) Set bottom of drain.
3.) Build curb putting thin set on slab, setting bricks with thin set between?
4.) Thinset on slab then dry pack mortar preslope on top.
5.) Install liner overlapping curb and securing on outside of curb only with silicone or masonry screws?
6.) Galvanized metal mesh over curb and float with mortar mix?
7.) Dry pack mortar shower floor over liner.
8.) Cement board, tape, and mud
9.) Red Gard walls, curb, and shower floor?
10.) Thinset, tile, and grout

Name:  A8208843-5249-495B-B6BE-6343F75405A9.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  67.5 KB
Unread 11-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

First off, I would notch the studs for the bottom 12 inches if you haven't.

I would then build the curb 3-2x4's high. I don't see the advantage using bricks with a traditional pan liner.

I would set the bottom flange part of the drain about 1/2 inch off the floor so your preslope doesn't taper down to nothing at the drain.

After the liner is installed over the preslope, I would then install the CBU holding it up off the floor about 3/4 inch. That way you can pack mud under it to help hold it in place.

No need to Redgard the floor and curb. More isn't better.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2022, 04:09 AM   #3
Cajun1

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t notched the studs out yet, but have been seeing suggestions to do so.
My original plan was wood curb, but after seeing to not use pressure treated, and the fact that in my area I believe all wood in contact with slab needs to be PT, I decided to just skip wood all together. Hopefully the right decision?

Question on the mortar. Can I use the quick Crete bags that say mortar mix, or do I need something else? Trying to make this as straightforward as possible.

Thanks.
Unread 11-02-2022, 05:15 AM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

Darren, the brick curb is completely fine. I think Davy was getting at it's slightly overkill in your situation but I still like to brick mine anyways.

As far as the mortar mix and to keep it simple you want the quikcrete mortar mix with the green and gold/yellow bag. Usually is in a 60lb size.
Attached Images

Unread 11-02-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
Cajun1

Hey Justin, thanks for that. That’s what I bought.
I know I probably overthink these things, but with so many important steps involved I want to get this right.
Unread 11-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #6
Cajun1

Just to throw this out there, would I be better off spending the money on a Schluter shower kit vs doing this traditional method? We are on a budget, but is it worth it? Advice from anyone who has experience with both methods? Thanks.
Unread 11-02-2022, 07:47 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
...and the fact that in my area I believe all wood in contact with slab needs to be PT...
Darren, statements such as that are usually more meaningful if there's a geographic location in your User Profile, eh?

And for treated lumber in contact with concrete SOG, that usually comes with an either/or option to use something like SilSeal to isolate the lumber from the concrete. You might check on that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Cajun1

Quote:
Darren, statements such as that are usually more meaningful if there's a geographic location in your User Profile, eh?
Apologies…I’m in south Louisiana.
Unread 11-05-2022, 07:03 PM   #9
Cajun1

Weird ledge behind tub

Looking for suggestions on ways to tile over this ledge behind our bathtub. The plan was to put cement board around the tub and run a single row of 12x24 tiles we have. We also have a box of 3 1/2” x 12” matching tiles with a finished edge.

Currently the edge is about an inch above tub level. I thought about adding another board to raise it another inch or so and attaching cement board so I can tile down the front edge covering the tub flange.

Any ideas? Thanks

Name:  74AE034A-9AB9-4E75-9AB3-5AED765A2D11.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  28.7 KB
Unread 11-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

What is the purpose of the ledge, Darren?

Does this tub have a shower, also, or is this the same bathroom for which you have a shower thread and this is tub only?

Unread 11-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #11
Cajun1

The ledge was added to position the tub to reach the drain rough in. At the time it seemed like a good idea for a ledge/shelf for tub items, but the tiling of it has me stumped.
This is a soaking tub in the same bathroom as the separate shower build.
The shower is directly to the right of the tub.
Unread 11-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could shim that wall out so it won't have that ledge, depending on the rest of the wall adjacent to it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2022, 06:29 AM   #13
Cajun1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’d rather try to tile this out somehow. There is a window about 5’ up on this wall and would rather not build the wall out that far.
I am really new to tile work, so not sure my options for finishing this.
Our tiles are polished white marble look porcelain about 1/4” thick if that helps any.

Last edited by cx; 11-10-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Cajun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've combined your first two threads on this bathroom project here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Since there is no shower associated with that tub surround, you can pretty much do whatever you want with that ledge. Building it up higher might allow you to turn it into a "feature" if you tile it just right.

I think it a good idea to use some sort of waterproofing in areas like that around tubs, just as a precaution against some water that is likely to get there from time to time. Apparently you think that is a possibility, given the use of a CBU in that area instead of just continuing the gypsum drywall. Can be especially important if small animals might use the tub. I think you North Americans refer to them as "children", non?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 11-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #15
Cajun1

Ok thanks. I’ll continue experimenting with ideas and hopefully find something that looks decent and is functional.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase