Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
hunter

grout colorant, sealer AND limestone hearth sealer

We have just had installed a honed bluegrey limestone fireplace surround and hearth/bench in slabs, and tiled the nearby foyer with the same stone in 12x12 tile form. 2 questions since we're having problems with installation quality already. sigh.

1) in the foyer, the grout color is almost white and shows the poor tilesetting job--uneven groutspacing. we'd like to camouflage it by darkening the grout color quite a bit. actually, that's what we asked for from the start anyway. any recommendations on how to a) darken the grout, and b) seal the grout, without hurting the stone tile?

2) we'd like to use a good sealant on all the stone--fireplace and foyer floor--to limit staining. we realize it's not going to be impervious; just to resist staining and dirt. don't wish to darken the limestone, at least not much. any recommendations on product, or even product type, to look for? anything to avoid?

installer/builder is rushing me TODAY so he can get off the job. i'm panicking because i don't believe he knows any more than i do, and that's not enough. any help appreciated. thanks,
Unread 06-09-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

Hi Hunter and welcome.

Well, the contractor will just have to wait until you are satisified.

Yes, Aquamix makes a grout colorant that you can use. It is available at most home improvement outlets like Lowes and Home Depot. Several tile distribution companies sell it as well.

The color you like on a grout chart is mixed and matched. This will color and protect the grout.

The tiles will benefit from the application of an impregnating sealer. How often you reapply the product depends on the brand and traffic the area receives.

The poor installation has me somewhat concerned. If you are saying you will be satisfied with it with just a colorant applied to the grout then I'll leave it alone.

Remember, do not ever let anyone rush you into a decision.

Best regards,
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Mike2

Hi Hunter and welcome.

I'll recommend Aqua Mix Sealer for your stone and tile grout.

Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice

As far a darkening up the grout, grout stains are available. If you are not satisfied with the installation, you should not let your installer/builder push you into panic mode. Get him/her to fix the problems which might include a talk about grout stain.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Hunter.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

Limestone can be a very absorbent stone and using a grout stain will create a halo affect around your stone/grout line. You might consider using an enhancer sealer... this will darken your grout and your stone and seal it at the same time. By darken, I mean it will darken the stone/grout the color it is when it is wet.
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase