Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
oneslip

First Time Tiler

This will be my first tile job so I'm a little nervous how this will turn out, I am sick & tired of painting my front porch/stoop every year so I thought maybe if I tiled it, then it would be a more lasting solution. I spent the past 2 days removing old paint and have patched some of the holes and cracks but on the vertical sides of the stoop the concrete is a little wavy/uneven, will adding more thinset in the low spots be OK? I have attached some pics so you can see what I'm looking at, although I plan on using a sheet of 3 inch tiles on the vertical sides that are meshed together. There is a slight dip on the top part of slab where the tiles have a little rock to 'em but it just seems once thinset is applied it should be OK. I would appreciate any tips, hints or suggestions.
The other question I have it I am considering buying the tile from Home Depot & it is Indoor/Outdoor DalTile Marsellies porcelin collection but no where on the box & of course the workers at HD couldn't tell me if the tile is freeze rated. I searched all over the Daltile website and the Marsellies collection is not listed anywhere so I'm not sure if it is a discontinued product.
I've have spent a lot of time researching this project and have also considered getting a bid on stamped concrete but I just think actual tile would look better, can anyone give the pros & cons of going the stamped concrete route over tiling? Again, I appreciate any info you all can share. Thanks for your time.
Attached Images

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Bill.........

Welcome to Tile Your World forums.

What part of the country are you located in?

Is that a wood sill between the house and the cement stoop?

Is that one wood step down from the cement stoop?

Is that red paint or stain of some kind on/in the cement stoop?

Is this stoop well covered from the weather?

Is that a long crack across the outside face of the cement?

From the look of things.... I'm not sure I would tile this.... it may create a maintenance nightmare.

Have you considered building a wood or composite decking and steps?

Mebee’ a pro here-a-bouts’ can chime in and give you a better prognosis for tile than I can think of.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
oneslip

Dave,

This is a 1920's Bungelow in the midwest so it gets freezing temps here.
The sill is actually a metal covering & yes there are wood steps leading up to the landing. I'm not sure if the red is a stain or clay or something because it goes kinda deep. Unfortunately the crack goes all the way around the stoop but has not moved, it could be a very old crack. The crack and the slight wave is giving my pause to consider stamped concrete but I really do not want to go that route, when you mentionn a maintenance nightmare what do you think would happen if tiled?
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Dave Taylor

Bill asked:
Quote:
what do you think would happen if tiled?
The bond between tile and concrete would not last.

Think about it.

Multiple 18" snows, -10 degrees, solid ice that takes an axe to clean off..... or some mighty potent chemicles (salt takes no prisoners).

Next month..... direct sun, 105 degrees in the shade and no shade.

Beating rain on one slick tiled surface.

And all this on one, old, cracked surrounded, unprotected stoop slab stained or covered with a unknown coloring substance, stable as ??, tiled with questionable tile.

It just does not look like a good candidate for ceramic to me, Bill.

That's why I wondered if you had considered decking.

Are you considering re-surfacing this with stamped concrete, or replacing it with stamped concrete?

Thanks
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
oneslip

The only thing is that this is the front door that does not get used very often, I hear what your saying about the elements, I guess I'm confused as I see people tile around thier pools etc. in this area and have the same conditions. The stoop is partially covered by an overhang. I thought thinset was a cement, I'm not sure why it would not adhere? I don't want to put decking on the stoop, if all else fails I'll just paint it again.

If I go the stamped concrete route it would be a resurfacing. This is a 32 sq ft stoop & I don't want to spend a ton on this, a budget of no more the $400.00 is what I was thinking.

Let me ask you this, say I tile it and it doesn't work out, will I be able to scrape the thinset off?
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Dave Taylor

Bill asked:

Quote:
say I tile it and it doesn't work out, will I be able to scrape the thinset off?
Yes.... with a little elbow grease and that same ice chipper you may already use to clean this stoop in the winter.

Pool decks and patios are tiled. The tiling surface needs to be in excellent condition and not subject to foot traffic (cleaning) year round during nasty weather conditions.

I actually have doubts that resurfacing with concrete will give a lasting repair to this stoop either.

Sorry to be so gloomy, Bill.

Mebee' some pro stoop repair guy will chime in and over ride me.
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bill.

I think there's no question that you'd need a waterproofing membrane over that concrete before you'd wanna install ceramic tile. And a crack isolation membrane would appear to be a sensible addition, too.

I'd recommend you talk to the good people at the Noble Company about using their NobleSeal CIS on that project, installed with their EXT adhesive pookey. Might take care of some of the issues DT raised there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
oneslip

Thanks for the info, CX I was just reading about crack membranes, that may be the route to go.
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
oneslip

White Thin Set/ Dark Grout

As a beginner I went to my local tile store to buy some thinset better then what the big box stores sell so the store sold me TEC Superflex latex thinset and they told me they only had the white, the tile I'm using is grey and I bought a dark grey grout. I was thinking you wont see the thinset anyway so what does it matter but now after doing some reading on-line I guess there is an issue with using white thinset under dark grout. My question is how would the white show thru a dark grout and with your experience have you ever seen this done? I'm not too concerned if the grout appears lighter then what I purchased as I almost bought the lighter grey but don't want any white to show. If I keep the thinset deep in the gaps I just don't see how this will show. Appreciate any comments, opinions. Thanks!
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Jeraza
JB

Jeraza

You'll be fine as long as you keep the thinset from squeezing up through the joints as little as possible. If it does, just tool the excess thinset out of the joints while it's still pliable, as it's easier then waiting till it hardens. Grout after the thinset cures and you'll be just fine. Good luck with your project.
Jeraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
oneslip

What happens if it rains on freshly set tiles?

As the local weather forcasters rarely get it right, what happens if it rains after I lay my tiles? Granted I am going to try an avoid a rain situation but was curious from the more experienced here on the board what could happen and how to deal with it. During the summer months when it is humid as hell, the storms can crop up out of nowhere. Appreciate any comments, thanks!
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
lasvegaslenny
Desert Dweller

I'm not sure how rain would affect the tile, I guess it depends on how much rain and how long the tile has been down but I would get myself a few large blue tarps and plan a system where you could quickly set up a "tent" to keep water off the area.

www.MasterBuiltLasVegas.com

"We are born to action; and whatever is capable of suggesting and guiding action has power over us from the first." -Charles Horton Cooley
lasvegaslenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Bill, if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread it'll be easier for folks to see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. Bookmark this one so you'll always be able to find it again. We can give it a different title if you'd like.

If your thinset mortar has had time to take an initial set, a little rain would be considered a plus. Before that, I'd cover that stoop with a tarp as Lenny advised. If you don't think you'll have at least a couple hours between setting and the rain, I'd not set the tile that day. Even installing the tarp can move freshly set tiles enough to be troublesome.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
oneslip

Sorry bout that, thanks for correcting that CX. I'm going to try and tile when I know it will have a couple of dry days but the atmosphere is very unpredicatble at this time. So if it rains after a few hours of setting up, everything will be fine. Cool.
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
oneslip

Grout sealer, how soon after rain can be done

One more question, I grouted my tile on Saturday night, Sunday morning but we have had all these pop up storms so I have not been able to apply sealer and I know I needed to wait 48 hrs before sealed anyway but is there a certain amount of time the grout needs to not have any moisture on it before I can apply the sealer? I think tomorrow & Friday are going to be dry. Would like to get it done tommorow if at all possible. Oh, what is the best sealer out there? I have been under the gun this whole job with the rain storms, took all the fun out of it. I appreciate all the help and suggestions I have recieved on this board. I included a pick of the finished product, I know there are numerous flaws with this job but to me it looks great since it was my first tiling experience.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase