Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Jeraza
JB

Unhappy Stone shower w/mold & mildew already ?? !!!

Recently remodeled bathroom & shower with tumbled travertine, liner, chair rail etc... and I have what appears to be mold/mildew in certain areas after only 6 months. The walls were lath, scratched & floated w/mud and we set new stone with decorative liner & chair rail etc, sealed it all with a 15 year aquamix sealer. Six months later and I already have what appears and smells like surface mold & mildew. The sealer appears to have failed or perhaps it's just the pourosity of the stone that requires multiple applications for it to seal up the stone surface ?? Your input for possible solutions to this problem would be very much appreciated.

The stonework is beautiful but the musty smell and spotted areas of scum (atop the rail in the groutline & at wall floor transitions etc...) etc is very disappointing and perhaps dangerous for the kids etc...

Thank you in advance for your input to this problem....

Jerry
Jeraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
ProStatusMattHD
Side Job Extraordinaire

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Travertine is a very pourous stone making it a wonderful sponge for water and stains. Even sealed it is very high maintainance.

If it is in fact surface mold and mildew, a good mold remover should work. hopefully it hasn't formed underneath the tile.

What I would do to prevent this later, is dry off the tile every time the shower is used. If water is sitting on top of that chair rail it could cause mold (same goes for the grout lines).

"Doing my best to be taken seriously and fight the stereotype."
ProStatusMattHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

Sounds like a maintenance issue.

Get some good stone cleaner and do a number on it.

Then get in the habit of giving it a wipe down once a day and regular cleanings with something like Stone Tech Restore.

And if your bath area doesn't have good ventilation install a window or exhaust fan.
Unread 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jerry,

I agree with Matt wholeheartedly. It's not the fault of the sealer or of the application. It's the stone. Dry it each time it's used.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
rktect

Exclamation

My tile salesman told me that when ever the Travertine gets wet, it will have an "earthy" smell . . . I think his exact words were "smells like rain or dirt" . . .

Does it have a odor when wet, a little. But I haven't had a problem in over 18 months, and it also sees little "care" . . . single guy syndrome . . . but still looks as good as it did the day I installed it.

I never use "bar" soap, always liquid shower gell, and give a good rinse before exiting.

Jack of all trades and master of none . . . .
rktect is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase