Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Dave B

Felker TM-75..

I'm in the middle of doing a 30sqft backsplash in my kitchen.

I was going to buy one of those $90 saws but decided to get a better one.

As soon as the backsplash is done I have a 225sqft kitchen floor to do.

I'll be using a 13x 13 porcelain tile (no diagonals) and was wondering if the TM 75 is adequate for that......I really don't want to go over $300 for a saw...
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Dave, I have a TM 75 and love it. I did a 275 sq ft sunroom in porcelain and a bathroom floor plus shower in regular ceramic tile. Still have the tub surround and deck to do. It's a great little saw. I cut everything with the blade that came with it. By the time I finished with the porcelain, it wasn't cutting as well even after dressing the blade. I may be due for a new blade before I tackle the tub. BTW, Be sure to order it through the TYW Store so this site gets some credit.
Unread 11-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
That's a great sell on the TM-75, Clyde. I can't do any better than that. Get it, Dave.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Mike2

Dave, here are a couple Liberry links that might be of interest.

Tile saw trials incl. the TM-75

Cutting tiles diagonally with the Felker TM-75

I think you would be very pleased with this saw Dave.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Rather-Be-Boating

Realizing you probably need your own tile saw (instead of renting) is probably a hazard of coming to this site! And so I find myself in the same predicament.

This saw seems wonderful in every regard except one: The limit on rip & diagonal cuts. I have seen the liberry examples about cutting part way through, turning a tile over, and finishing the cut.

For those of you who are more DIYers, and not using this tile on a daily basis, does this method produce clean cuts? In an upcoming project, I will have to diagonally cut some 12" tiles, and rip some 16's. The cut size will inevitably be exposed on certain of the cuts, especially the diagonals. A perfectly clean cut is essential for these exposed cuts. Can the TM-75 handle this for a DIY weekend warrior, or am I likely to experience less frustration with a saw that can rip through a 16 & diagonally cut a 12 in a single pass?

Note to anyone from Felker: $300 seems to be a price point many people have, and I am also one of them. Many want to do a single pass diagonal on very common 12 & 13's, not to mention rips on larger tiles.

Within the Felker line, it seems the only option is the FTS-150 - which is nearly twice the money. MK did something very smart - without significantly changing the price point, they stretched the MK-370 base components enough to rip 18" and diagonally cut 13's, and rebadged it the MK-370 EXP. I have seen numerous posts here, and on other forums, where people skipped Felker and bought the MK-370 EXP. Lots of comments over how loud the saw is, but dozens of people seem to be living with the noise to get the single pass, larger cut. Lost sales!!! I cannot imagine it would be difficult to follow MK's lead and enlarge the table & pan of the TM-75 & get to these increased cut sizes while maintaining a similar price. The MK-370 EXP is readily available for $300 complete with stand, cut tools and blade. I realize there are many things superior about the TM-75, most notably the motor, but despite all the claims to superiority, practicality is king to many. Coupled with a trend toward increased tile sizes, I would personally love to see a stretched 75. I'd buy one this instant if it existed, and I suspect the 370EXP would disappear from the market place, unable to compete with such an offering from Felker. OK, end of rant.
Unread 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge
That's a great sell on the TM-75, Clyde. I can't do any better than that. Get it, Dave.
I think it's a good idea to pay attention to the collective wisdom of this board.

I did my first tile job last year......a 100 sq foot entryway done w 12 x 12 porcelain tile.

I followed the advice given here & it came out great.

I'm not going to even say what I was planning on doing but I think it would've turned into a disaster.

My first thoughts here were to get the Felker -50 for the backsplash and to do any corner cuts on the floor. I was just going to buy one of those $20 snap cutters to cut all those end tiles on the floor.

After reading some of the threads here though it sounds like cutting textured procelain floor tile with a 20 dollar snap cutter isn't so hot an idea.

Anyway--I've got a bathroom, a basement rec room and a small area by the fireplace to do eventually so I won't have to deal with renting one @ 70 bucks a pop and lugging that thing back & forth.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #7
Rather-Be-Boating

Would still love to hear a response from a Felker rep to my comment above......
Unread 11-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well, I'm not exactly a Felker rep, but I'm close -- being in cahoots with the head Felker rep, Andy Lundberg. Andy has been spending increasing amounts of time on the road and has not been able to spend as much time here as he would like. I'll page him for you, though.

In the meantime, we have never disparaged MK products here. The whiny little motors are annoying, and the larger saws are overly heavy, but all in all, MKs are well-built tools.

Felker mainly serves the professonal market, and you will note that every one of their tools fits the needs of the pro tile setter, a guy or gal who runs the saw all day every day. Pros will always have a larger saw in addition to the smaller ones that are available. I don't use my TM-75 every day, for example. What makes it appealing is it's small and compact size. If it were any bigger I wouldn't have it.

But I'll let Andy do the responding for the Felker company. Hell, he might even jump on your idea.

Last edited by John Bridge; 11-19-2005 at 11:06 AM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
Viper

I am sure that if the felker was extended to cut the 13" on diagonal that it would sell to more of the diy'ers
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
andyl
Products Manager, Felker/Target Tile Saws

I hear you

Of course I won't comment on what we may be working on because our competitors know where the coolest site on the web is, too!!, but these are good suggestions and will certainly be taken into consideration.

http://husqvarnacp.com
andyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
Rather-Be-Boating

Hmmmmm......... While you cannot potentially disclose WHAT you might be working on, could you possibly provide a suggestion as to WHEN something might be available? Hypothetically, of course!

Holidays are right around the corner - and I'm busy preparing my list!

I'd hate to pick something up in the near future, only to find something more suitable was right around the corner.
Unread 11-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Whatever Felker's got going on has got to be a doosie because nobodies talkin no where...................I used to be on the fringes of the loop but it Seems like TOP SECRET has a whole new meaning........

Being a bit of a marketing fanatic i could make an educated guess but it would be only a guess so not much sense in it.....

OK, here goes anyways, my best guess based on paying attention to people in the forums wants needs and desires.(lets see how close i can get )

If i were Felker, and I were PAYING ATTENTIONto the DIY folks on this forum, I would be designing a saw that had light weight,large capacity and a mid price specifically with the DIY market in mind.
Something say between the small saws and the FTS 150 with a DIY price point..........Now to get that price point we have to drop the baldor motor, no sense in haveing a commercial quality motor on a saw that wont see that kind of punishment.
Price point I would shoot for would be just under 400.00 with a 13" diagonal cutting capacity and 16" square.

Of course, NOBODY ASKED ME

One thing to keep in mind, it takes several years to get from idea through design phase through prototype manufacturing and finally to marketable manufacturing.
So, dont anybody hold your breath or put your projects on hold in anticipation, I may be dead wrong and you may be really sorry you did!!!

My opinion worth price charged!!!
Unread 11-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #13
Rather-Be-Boating

Well, the motor has been the most quoted advantage of the Felker over their competition. Seems it would be a mistake to drop that.

I must be missing something that is probably more obvious to those of you who use these saws daily.....

Seems to me the only thing they need to change on the 75 is the tub and rail length. Possibly the table size. None of those things would seem to cost much at all, and shouldn't significantly increase the overall weight. What am I missing?

Regardless, while it might take a very long time to go through design, prototyping, and production.... they could have been up to that for awhile now!!

Anyway, no one really responded to a question I asked earlier in this thread... is the method described in the liberry for cutting larger tiles (measure, align, cut, turn, realign, second cut) simple enough, and PRECISE enough for a DIYer, or would it be far less frustrating to simply get a saw (like the MK 370 EXP) that can handle that in a single pass?

I am more concerned about this than ever given a recent post regarding how out of alignment at least one purchaser's TM-75 was upon arrival.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase