Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #31
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Epoxy can help with keeping grout from cracking in change-of-planes. There are a few instances that I use epoxy instead of silicone. But I know that it's in conflict with industry standards and, as CX says, "the use of the epoxy grout could make the situation either better or worse."
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:56 PM   #32
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

And in some cases, the extremely strong tensile strength of the epoxy grout used in the change-of-planes has resulted in cracked tile.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #33
tommasden

So in that case if I epoxy my shower floor I would not use epoxy on the change of plane (and even on bench change of plane?)
Unread 11-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #34
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I wouldn't, and didn't, Tom. I caulked all the changes of plane except in the niche.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #35
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom
So in that case if I epoxy my shower floor I would not use epoxy on the change of plane (and even on bench change of plane?)
This is the main area where I stray from the industry guidelines with epoxy grout.

I would epoxy the shower floor, the perimeter joint, the outside corner on the bench joint if it's mitered, and the shower curb if I still have enough and it's the same color.
Unread 11-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #36
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tom, I've moved your posts from the very old general discussion in the Hangout to your shower project thread to avoid confusion both places. A moderator can give this thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

And you can see there are differing opinions on the subject of grouting your shower floor with epoxy. I would not recommend epoxy grout on any shower floor at all, regardless how you elect to treat the change of plane areas.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #37
tommasden

tile to wall or to spacer on corners

I am getting ready to tile my back wall in shower. these pics are of back wall and shower wall vertical joint. In pic 1 I have spacers in pic 2 I do not. Since I am doing back wall fisrt and it will be buried by side wall tiles, do I use spacers or not. As well, am I correct that the buried joint will not need grout or caulk and the joint that ends up above the buried joint is where I will caulk?
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #38
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You don't want any tile to butt up against a rigid surface.

My preference is to use a profile in a corner as it negates any need for caulk there, provides a nice straight edge that can hide most inconsistencies, and provide the necessary movement joint the industry calls for in changes of plane or materials. I'd put the pocket on the long wall and from the entry, it's hard to see the other edge. These come in numerous thicknesses and colors to account for various tile options.

Caulk will work too.
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #39
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tom, you never want the edges of your tiles butted against anything, including other tiles. The object in leaving space between your back wall tiles and the end walls of your shower is to provide movement accommodation. You needn't fill those particular gaps with anything.

The object in leaving spaces between your wall tiles and perpendicular wall tiles is also movement accommodation. Filling those particular gaps is an aesthetic consideration; filling them with something that still provided movement accommodation is a technical requirement.

And while it may seem a minor point, you do not want to use a caulk in any such places. You want to use a flexible sealant. The caulk will not necessarily allow for movement, the sealant will.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #40
tommasden

Got it...thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase