Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Hithere

Shower floor tile layout

I’m looking for advice on how to lay this tile evenly around the drain without it looking too far off. The tiles themselves are not perfectly squared due to the design, so that makes it a bit awkward, for me anyways.

I’m not quite done with the prep work but I wanted to get an idea how these would fit. The shower is ~50x28. There is about a 3” space to the far left and I tried moving the left half all the way against the wall which leaves a gap in the middle, but with the tiles being shaped differently, it looked weird when I tried to fill that gap in with individual tiles (hope that made sense!).

Would you guys leave it as is and cut the rest to fit?
Attached Images

Unread 07-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
Kman

You don't mention the size of the tile, so it's difficult to give a definitive answer.

Try sliding everything right a little to see how that works. It would involve cutting the edge off the tiles to the far right, but basically you'd center the layout on the entire width of the shower. See how that affects the layout around the drain.

I wouldn't cut those tile on the right until you know that layout will work. Just remove that first row.

You want the tile around the drain to be symmetrical, otherwise it'll look funny.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #3
Hithere

oops, yea these are 12x12. Shaving tile off the edges makes sense since at least there is generally not as much focus in the areas as there is on the center. If I want the center to be symmetrical, I guess I'd also have to do the same for the top and bottom set of tiles too.
Unread 07-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
jerrymlr1

About a 1/4" to the right like Kevin says and about a 1/2" north and the drain area should look good. What does that do to the left wall? Using a grout color that blends in well with the tile will also help.
Unread 07-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Kai, I used a very similar basket weave tile for my shower floor. I decided to focus on the drain layout and allow the perimeter to fall where it may. Given the size of the individual tiles it probably won't be too far off at the walls.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
Hithere

Dan, that looks great! I should be able to head back out there today and lay it all out again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase