Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #16
BIGPHIL

Renee,
In reply to your question about fixtures in my thread, the only thing that needs to come from the same manufacturer is the shower controls/valve body and trim. You'll need to verify that the mixing valve and trim you choose are compatible though. All others (shower arm, shower head, wall union, hand shower, tub spout) can be a mix of whatever you like. Typically you'd try to stay in the same manufacturer and line/collection so that the fixtures all match color and style.

I chose not to on several pieces, but made sure the look matched and color (round escutcheons, chrome). Be careful about color when mixing manufacturers. Chrome is quite universal, but other colors can vary greatly!
Unread 04-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
laostrich

Thanks Phil, can't be clear than that!

I ended up taking that pony wall out and started it over and now all plumb and square with 1/8" slope on top. fine tunring on some plumbing lines lay out with help from similar forum like this. Soon as that is clear, then rough plumbing appointments then I can start! hopefully within two weeks.

Dan, if you have started your project, please leave a link, I'd love to follow yours.
Unread 04-06-2021, 10:39 PM   #18
laostrich

Blockings

While I’m waiting on plumbing layout.. wanted to ask if it’s good idea to add blockings between studs for drywall/cement boards before rough plumbing. There are moulding on the whole bathroom wall about 7ft high, kept the plaster above it. Would I work in backwards if I add blockings on right below the wall when I don’t know what/where the vent lines will need to go?

Another kind of blocking questions. for tower rack, robe hook, grab bar for future, shower curtan rods, close to the window as well as tub apron side. Not hot on squeezing the glass door every time after shower, so most likely shower curtains although some glass door looked really nice and clean.besides above mentioned,
* mirrors
* vanity? Like kitchen cabinet?
* scones
* toilet paper holder

Anything else?

Name:  04EAA1B8-D800-44A4-8EC8-C56E41852154.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  39.6 KB
Unread 04-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd be inclined to wait until the rough in plumbing is finished before adding any more blocking, Renee.
  • towel rack - wouldn't hurt, but good drywall anchors are probably all you need
  • robe hook - good drywall anchors are all you need
  • grab bar for future - yes
  • shower curtain rods - yes
  • mirrors - if really heavy, yes, but good drywall anchors are probably all you need
  • vanity? Like kitchen cabinet? - nope, the studs behind it will be fine.
  • sconces - yes, but you'll need to know exactly where you want them first
  • toilet paper holder - good drywall anchors are all you need

If those windows are staying, and will be in the shower area, you're going to need to figure out how to waterproof those. I assume the existing medicine cabinet is coming out?

The remaining plaster; how thick is it? I assume you intend to install drywall right up to the plaster? What about the molding you mention, is that already there or something you intend to add?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #20
laostrich

Noted on blockings for rough plumbing and for all the accessories. Thank you.

About the medicine cabinet... well, the current two windows are wood frame/ wood casing all around and I know ideally you replace with vinyl windows then waterproof around then use aztek molding or quartz tile to replicate similar look if one desires. The thing is, I’d like to keep there original windows. Even with marine grade paint, it will be problematic, so I’m planning on having a shower curtain on both sides of the tub. When I have a budget to add one more bathroom with a shower, then I’ll turn this tub to be just tub only. With current plan, do you see any issue in hot steam from the tub will ruin the mideicne cabinet? It’s original to the house and probably can tell, I’m very partial to things that are original to the house. With operable two windows and the shower curtain that will block the spray, would steam have big enough impact on the MC warranting relocation?

Also, is it possible to get a shower valve, tub spouts and controller all in one wall and have the drain on the opposite? Other than funny look, would this be mechanically failure set up? Reason asking because I’lol have this free space about 30” after tub is installed and I want to extend the tile work so I can put service panel and hamper drawer. The trims for tub sits flush to the tub so I don’t think it will poke my back while taking a bath.
Attached Images

Last edited by laostrich; 04-07-2021 at 09:45 PM.
laostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #21
BIGPHIL

The current location of the medicine cabinet seems problematic to me...not to mention that after the tub goes in, it'll be in an odd location for easy access to whatever you need to get from inside of it. I'd vote the carefully remove it and relocate it to another area of the room.

As for the plumbing, you can certainly put the controls wherever your heart desires.
Unread 04-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #22
laostrich

Phil, you are right, It won't serve as as any since like you mentioned, will be hard to reach. ...It is true that this forum is the most friendly DIY site, I know I would have slapped on forum like Houzz. . thanks for putting a sense on me, it's been fun but also so difficult to figure it out my own. Okay, I'll find a somewhere else for it. It just that it will most likely mounted with nails and I'm afraid I'll ruin it while prying. well, nothing gets done until you start, right?

Will use peel away 7 first then 1 to get most paint out of it inside to locate where the nails are.

Dan,
I forgot to mentioned earlier, there is molding already in ( also original to the house) the picture, bit hard to see because wasn't captured from right angle but the mouldings are 2ft down from ceiling whole room, so my plan is leave plaster as is on that area and add blockings right below molding to add blocks for dry walls/cement board.

Good to know I can have have drain opposite side, if I don't put service panel, then either they have to make a hole to the built in secretaty desk/drawer on one wall or hole on the plaster. I was going to have a laundry hamper on that end anyways so why not putting access panel, ---was my thoughts. because things do get break down, right? I;m writing this to see if anyone else will convince me not to have a drain opposite site, ha.
Unread 04-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #23
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Also, is it possible to get a shower valve, tub spouts and controller all in one wall and have the drain on the opposite?
The drain does not care where it resides, as long as it is in the lowest place in regards to everything else on the tub or shower floor, with everything sloping down toward said drain. Gravity is the only hard rule; aesthetics play second fiddle to gravity.

A proper drain cares not where the water comes from, only where it goes.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project - Most viewed user thread

Always look in the LIBERRY

Last edited by Snets; 04-07-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Snets is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #24
laostrich

Well said it! Thank you

Now only if I can figure it out the designated tub drain clearance. I’ll contact Kohler installation department tomorrow and will report back.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase