Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Iggy

Question Questions on Supporting Tumbled Travertine.....

....My bathroom vanity is 60" x 21", so my countertop will be 61" x 22 3/8". I want to put dow 4 x 4 x 3/8 or 6 x 6 x 3/8 tumbled travertine for the countertop. My questions are:

1. In weighing a sq. foot of 4 x 4, vs. 6 x 6, vs 8 x 8 tumbled travertine, the weight decreases with the smaller tiles. So the combined weight of 4 x 4 is about 5 lbs less on my counter than the 6 x 6 which covers the same amount of space. Why is this???? Does the weight even up after the application of the grout??? It doesn't seem grout weighs that much.

2. I have a sheet of 5/8" ply available, may I use two layers of 5/8 ply, glued and screwed together to support these tiles? I am also thinking that the plywood should be cut and placed according to its strength, so that I will cut a section 48" x 22" and another 13" x 22" and then repeat that for the top layer...but overlay the joint with the top layer. This seems stronger that cutting the ply length wise and making just one piece. Is this right???

3. The vanity is one cabinet, so support is only on the perimeter, nothing in the field. Do I need to add support in the middle of the cabinet on either side of where the sink will be installed? I don't mind doing it, but if its overkill I would prefer not to. I was thinking of adding 3/4" to the inside of the perimeter to help secure the plywood. Is this really necessary?

4. Do I glue and screw the first layer of ply to the cabinet with wood glue? Or do I just set it on a bead of silicone along the top edge of the cabinet and weight it till it cures?

Thank you in advance, Mike
Unread 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mike,

Don't concern yourself with the weight. It's insignificant.

Two layers on a small vanity will make it bullet-proof. Go for it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Iggy

Thanks John..will do. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase