Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
ArtKilinski

Help me with my leaky window(s)

Hi everyone. I just bought an 11 year old house with aluminum double pane windows. One of the windows upstairs is a Simonton 1100 series that was installed after the house was built. It was installed the new construction way, meaning they cut into the stucco, installed the window, and stucco'd over it. Why, I don't know. This window has some bad glazing and it was disclosed to us. We also bought the house "as-is". Simonton is coming out next week to check out the window for us.

So the other day it rained really hard and I had a window leak *downstairs*. The leaky window is one that's a vertical slider (opens from bottom to top) and it's about 36" wide by about 45" tall or so. It was leaking from where the upper part of the aluminum frame meets the interior sheetrock. A steady trickle of water was coming through. Above that window is another Simonton 1100 series that's 36" wide by 11" high. To the right of that Simonton is yet another that is 11" high by about 70" wide, both installed the new construction way. Below that is a sliding patio door about 70" wide and 80" tall; it is original.

The 2 downstairs Simontons appear not to be leaking, but what's interesting is that the sheetrock around them has been retextured. Outside, the 36x11 Simonton had a LOT of messy clear caulking around it and there's a few hairline cracks in the stucco around it. Hmm...did they leak in the past???

The next day was dry so I caulked around the 2 downstairs Simontons and the vertical slider using polyurethane caulk. I removed all the old clear caulking around the 36x11 Simonton. I also noticed that the veritical sliders top pane now had condensation on the inside. The sheetrock around that window was very soft when it rained and some of the paint and texture seemed to swell.

So...

I want a new sliding door because I just don't like the original one. I will get a new one installed retro fit style. I want a new vertical slider because I don't like the old style.

Will I need new sheetrock around the leaky window? How much water does it take to damage the sheetrock? Should I get the 2 downstairs Simonton's replaced as well? One window company I spoke to over the phone said that it's possible the Simontons were not installed properly and it's affecting the windows below them. If I do get them replaced the new construction style, how do I know it's being done correctly?

I'm documenting all of this. I think the vertical slider or the one above had leaked in the past and the seller didn't disclose it. My realtor is also looking into some of this stuff for me as well.

Any overall window/sheetrock advice you all can give? Even if I get retrofit windows for the sliding door and the vertical slider, should I get sheetrock work done as well?

Thanks!!!
ArtKilinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

And what was that about the tile.

All I can say is if the sheetrock has swelled and stained, yes replace it, if changing the doors and windows, now is the time for to do it and install new molding as well, find a reputable contractor who knows what they are doing, not familiar with those windows, don't do many, have all Anderson and a Pella door in my own home, happy so far, good luck.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase