Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #31
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh
...why would a hardiboard on top of plank isolate movement just like plywood on top of plank?
Because the manufacturer does not state that installing Hardie directly over planks is an acceptable method, it suggests it wouldn't. That your previous tile installation survived with just such an underlayment is probably an aberration. The manufacturers test a lot of configurations, then determine the best installation method that will virtually assure success in all circumstances. It amounts to a CYA exercise for them; claims wise and reputation wise. IMO, natch.

Installing anything outside of manufacturers and industry recommendations/guidelines is a risk. Can it work? Sure. I installed tile directly on plywood in my laundry room 4 or 5 years ago and it's still there; no cracks and all are still stuck, the grout isn't disintegrating. My rational for taking the short cut was "it's juuust a laundry room". Will it still be in great shape 5 years from now? I dunno.

If I'd done it correctly I would know.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #32
vickyprodify

Thanks Dan . you are correct. Doing it the right way makes sense.

Your reasoning and to avoid the excess lip, im thinking i should rip out the plank subfloor, put in a 5/8" OSB and use hardiboard on top.

Let me know if you think thats not a good idea. Im ok for the excess work. i would take the safe approach instead. My joinst span is 14" between joists.
Unread 05-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #33
cx
Moderator emeritus

Vignesh, keep in mind also that there was a time when James Hardie did recommend installing his backer board over sawn board subfloors. He changed that recommendation years ago and I bet you can guess why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh
My joinst span is 14" between joists.
That would be your joist spacing rather than the span and I would guess it's closer to 14 1/2" between joists, indicating a spacing of 16" on center.

You also need to know the unsupported span of your joists as well as the species and grade to effectively calculate the design deflection.

If you elect to remove the existing subflooring I would suggest you use nothing less than nominal 3/4" exterior glue, T&G plywood with no face of grade lower than C or a similar OSB product. I would not even consider anything thinner.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #34
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As an aside, unless Schluter has changed things up, light blue membrane is not Ditra. Could be a similar product, but I think if it was sold to you as Ditra, you got ripped off! Maybe I'm missing something.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #35
vickyprodify

no it wasnt DITRA. It was Dural, but i also have DITRA 1/8. I was just using Dural to show that I am off a lil. Both Dural and Ditra are 1/8 thickness
Unread 06-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #36
vickyprodify

CX
Sorry. Yes Spacing = 14". Unsupported span = 13 ft.

Current plank subfloor is only 5/8". I am afraid if I use 3\4 instead, I will go over the adjoining wedi board in the shower area.

i have to do some measurements to see if I really can go with a 23/32 T&G board + 0.42" hardi cement board and be at the same level as the Wedi Shower pan.

I am only thinking about removing existing subfloor so I can get pefectly level with the Wedi board (by avoiding DITRA). Else I don't think its worth the hassle.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase