Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
jscozz

Shower wall backer board preference?

I have searched and read through many threads on here about the pros and cons of the various backer boards for flooring... and from all of your advice I have decided to just go with more plywood and Ditra... but on my shower walls, I will still use some sort of backer board... my guess from the other threads I have read is that Durock, Wonderboard or Hardibacker will all perform properly if installed properly... but, of the three, which is the easiest to work with... from cutting to screwing to taping to hanging tile on to screwing a Better Bench through? if it matters, this will be a steam shower and there will be a plastic sheet behind the board... anything other than 8mil plastic from HD recommended?

Jeff
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
nrcurcio

Jeff....

I just Kerdi'd over Durock and it wasn't bad at all...After reading posts here, I was prepared for combat, but it wasn't bad...Couple things a must though...I would buy a carbide tipped knife ($9 bucks), a carbide tipped bit for your drill ($7 bucks), use the 1 5/8 inch long screws made for durock and a circular saw blade made for backerboards ($17 bucks)... wear eye protection and cut everything outside...make sure you place blocking along durock seems so they seat tightly...wasn't bad at all and it was my first time using it...check out my pics at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nrcurc...b3cre2&.src=ph
for photos of durock ...Nick

What my firearms instructor told me when I said, "my sights are off..."

Nick
nrcurcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
bobturner

I use roofing felt and Backer-On screws. I like square head screws for walls. They seem to not strip as bad.
bobturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
jscozz

Thanks for the replies. Bob, I assume you used HardiBacker with Backer-On screws?

Do you use roofing felt in steam showers too? My understanding is that roofing felt is not impermeable... but allows vapor through as opposed to plastic steeting that is impermeable... I read that in a steam shower it needs to be impermeable to not just liquid but water vapor... steam and that felt will not work in that case.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
jscozz

Nick,

Very nice work! I noticed you used four 2Xs for your threshold... why did you need the extra height over the three I see recommended on here elsewhere?

Jeff
Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Dan Clark

Nick, feedback please...

Nick,

You used Durock as a backer board for a Kerdi shower. John Bridge is a strong proponent of using just sheetrock as a backer under Kerdi. I'm thinking sheetrock for my Kerdi shower, but I could change it. So...

Why use Durock instead of sheetrock?

Regards,

Dan.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

you can use all the backer on screws with all cbu they are coated to prevent corrosion using drywall is easier than cbu you dont need the cbu behind kerdi but it wont hurt it but be careful not to puncture kerdi if using wonderboard or durock
Old 07-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

From a DIYer's perspecitvie - I would go with Drywall and Kerdi. Drywall is simple to work with and cheap. Kerdi makes for a great waterproofing shower system, very easy for the DIYer but make sure you follow the install instructions. Wouldn't hurt to get JB's e-book on Kerdi Showers either.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Dan Clark

John's books are great...

I have both the tile book and the shower eBook. John recommends drywall with Kerdi. Given that Kerdi waterproofs the shower, Kerdi + drywall makes sense to me and looks like the best approach. OTOH...

I see a large number of people building traditional showers or using cement-board backers under Kerdi. I'm not saying that they are wrong. I just wonder if I'm missing something...

Why do doesn't everybody use Kerdi + drywall? Why use a traditional approach? Why use Kerdi + cement-board backer?

Regards,

Dan.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

people have heard drywall is bad in showers and maybe the dont trust the kerdi system
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
bobturner

I would not use felt in a steam shower. I was a little confused as to why you would double up on moisture protection. I agree with the previous posts. I would just use sheetrock in your situation.
bobturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
geniescience

You have two questions, Jeff. The second one is about the right stuff to build a steam shower with.

In the last two years of reading everything I can, I have never seen anyone express a problem or complaint about the CBUs you mentioned in your first post that would put one ahead of the other. It is true that Hardi is different and thus "better" in a certain sense, but that may be totally unimportant to your needs. More about this in a minute.

I think a lot of DIY want so bad to do things "right" that they buy heavy CBU when light-weight plasterboard would do. Kevin already said this.

Thinset, Kerdi, thinset, tile and grout all adds up to A LOT of strength and solidity, but when you go pick up the cheapest sheetrock plaster at the store you get the willies, it feels so flimsy. My feeling. I have used several types of wallboard including FOAM, and in the end they are all good. One of my bathrooms is made entirely of Cement board (!). I am very proud of it. I got an expert to plaster over it with drywall "compound" (whatever that word means - why can't they call it plaster if it is plaster...). These walls are not tiled, so I can always justify the CBU by saying that i have a far more soundproofed bathroom than otherwise. By the way, I also put maximum sound insulation behind every wall, shower and bathroom, everywhere possible. I used Roxul, which has a lot of sand or something equivalent that puts out that silica dust that is harmful to lungs in the long term, just like dry cement powder or fresh-cut CBU. I breathed a lot of bad dust. I only began to feel sick when the whole project was done, not during it. Was it worth it? I'll let you know far in the future, hopefully as far as possible like in 30 or 40 years.

By the way, even plsster dust makes some people sick. But they get over it.

Cutting Hardi is more work than cutting Durock, but was no big deal to me.

What is best for a steam shower? Lots of insulation. You'll feel hot when that is your objective. And you don't let that heat out elsewhere when you are trying to enjoy a steam shower for what it is. Let the heat be where it should be. That's my opinion. Hope this helps.
geniescience is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase