Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Page
"Tile Dog"

Has anyone seen or used TI ProBoard?

Hey guys,

I was flipping through the TV channels tonight when I ran across a product on the DIY Network called TI ProBoard. I visited their website and this is what they say in part.

"TI-PROBOARD™ is the base of a unique system to form a solid tiled surface to new or existing decks. TI-ProBoard™ is a structural material so there is no other plywood, backerboards etc. With TI-ProBoard™ no special tools are required. When your deck is finished there is a dry area underneath for storage. TI-ProBoard™ is made in the US by a method called "Pultrusion" glass fiber strands are pulled through a die, the die is heated to a very high temperature and the strands are coated with polymers designed by North American Tile Tool Co . During the Pultrusion process the shape of TI-ProBoard™ is determined by the die. The result when cooled is a product that is rated as "extra heavy" for deflection with an enormous psi rating of 200,000.. "

They have a testing page on their website that says their product completed fourteen cycles of the Robinson Floor Test at TCNA with no damage to tile or grout joints. The installation was classified as "Extra Heavy" for "extra heavy and high-impact use in flood plants, dairies, breweries and kitchens.

Their product was also underwent the ASTM C1026: "Standard Test Method for Measuring the Resistance of Ceramic Tile to Freeze-Thaw Cycling". Ten specimens were subjected to fifteen cycles of freeze thaw consisting of freezing the tiles at 0 degrees F for eight hours then thawing them in water at 74 degrees F with no visible evidence of freeze-thaw damage. They did other tests as well.

If this product works as well as it looks like it does it seems as if it will take a lot of the worry out of tiling decks over unoccupied spaces. It seems pricey at $5.20 a square foot (best price I saw on their website) but it takes a lot of the VooDoo out of tiling decks.

How about taking a look at their website and tell me/us what you think, or if you have knowledge of this product please share.

http://tiproboard.com/index.html

If Gobis is on I would be interested in hearing what you know of this product?

Remember, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're still not out to get you!

Last edited by Page; 02-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
gueuzeman

They've had a sample at Dal here for a while, and their rep was at a multi-vendor demo night at Dal last year. Interesting system, not to sure the northeast is the place for it. But what the heck do I know, I just bought a 55-58 year old saw!

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Rob Z

I just picked up a flyer for this at the tile store...looks interesting!
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
ccarlisle

Their freeze-thaw information doesn't tell the whole story. ASTM Test C1026 tests ceramic tiles for their resistance to freeze-thaw cycles. What has that to do with Ti-proboard?

Ceramic may be resistant so may porcelain, but procelain is recommended for outdoor use, ceramics aren't always, so what's the point of doing C1026? And what have either to do with Ti-Proboard...were they stuck onto Ti-Proboard? oh yeah? with what?...As far as I know C1026 doesn;t use any supporting membrane at all.
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Aw, c'mon, Page, you just like it on accounta their website shows a girl installin' the tile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page
If this product works as well as it looks like it does it seems as if it will take a lot of the worry out of tiling decks over unoccupied spaces. It seems pricey at $5.20 a square foot (best price I saw on their website) but it takes a lot of the VooDoo out of tiling decks.
Not sure how much of a problem it solves over un-occupied spaces, Page. Think that would depend upon what you are currently willing to use over such spaces.

And for occupied space, they still require a waterproofing membrane be used over the product as I read it. Not sure how the cost-benefit would work out compared to something like plywood, CBU and NobleDeck, for example. Save a labor step, perhaps, but the greater cost and the greater hassle of obtaining and training your people to install a new product might require a few installations before it started to pay off at all.

And I think Charles' point is well taken, too. Need a bit more reading to sort out all those little details, eh?

It's interesting, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

I'll ping His Buddhaship to see if he'll have a look, Page.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm a little late getting in here. I would certainly like to know a little more about this product, so if any reps are out there, here's you chance to do some free advertising.

One observation, though. The product still goes over a wood frame sub-structure that is subject to dry rot if not kept dry. Since TI ProBoard calls for a membrane over occupied space I assume it's not waterproof and will let moisture through if a membrane is not added. I would therefore suggest that a membrane should be used over the unoccupied spaces as well if preserving the sub-structure is desirable.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Page
"Tile Dog"

I have been in contact with the manufacturer of this product and will suggest they come on board to discuss their product with all of us.

Remember, Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're still not out to get you!
Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Good deal, cuz I'm interested, too.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
gueuzeman

Resurrecting this thread

Looking to use this maybe in an upcoming remodel that is going down to joists.

Board is only 3/8" so we'll save space to match up to the existing floor adjacent.

No buying advantech or Ditra, no membrane required as it is interior kitchen.

Possible issue of how to attach the radiant tubes underneath. Sure the epoxy and glass composition is an insulator, but the base plate of the stuff is 1/8" thick vs. 3/4" wood for the heat to get thru.

I spoke to a rep for 15-20 min yesterday, sorry to see they never showed up here months ago.
http://www.tiproboard.com/index.html

Somebody out there must have installed this stuff, just not a member here.

gueuze
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
I saw this poduct when i whent to covering 2008, neat stuff. thats all i have to say about that

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

We'll watch this space, Gueuze.

I'm a little surprised the manufacturer never took advantage of this thread, too. Pretty easy and inexpensive way for'em to reach five thousand unique visitors a week, non?

Do let us know how the stuff works out for you. Folks are gonna be interested in how much waste, general cost, need for any special equipment or skills, etc.

I'd really like to know how waterproof that overlap is, too. Looks like it could be pretty good, but I don't see anything inna literature indicating you can maybe pewt some pookey in them joints and make it really waterproof.

Also looks like it requires waaaay more mortar (they recommend Laticrete 226 or similar) to pre-fill the surface than even Uber Ditra needs. Be curious to know if that's an accurate consideration.

Maybe a good time to enlist the customer as cameraperson for a Gueuzesque video account, non?

Their website shows testing that advertises an Extra Heavy rating over 24" centers (ASTM C627 - 14 cycles) with nothing at all under this product. Seems like the stuff should be taking over the world at this point and I'm curious why we've heard virtually nothing about it from the field.

Unread 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
gueuzeman

Any ballpark as to what a 4'x8' sheet of Advantech runs in price? I need to try and put some numbers together and rough out a cost comparison.

appx. 300 sf. kitchen

Also as to waterproofing the seam between boards, you put screws thru the board as well to fasten it so better to membrane the assembly after a pre-fill of the channels. Also galvanized fasteners recommended as for decks it goes into PT lumber. Pan head recommended.

If it flies, CX, don't worry. There will be documentation.

gueuze- becoming a youtube whore. (becoming?)
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
gueuzeman

email invitation sent with link to this thread.

gueuze
Unread 07-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gueuze
email invitation sent with link to this thread.
Good lick, Gueuze.

I haven't bought SturdiFloor for waaaay too long to even guess. It was always a little pricier than "plain ol'" plywood, and I don't expect that to have changed. But I'd hafta call my real lumber company for pricing, and that can't happen 'till Monday. Sorry.

Unread 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
The Kid

3/4" T&G sturdi floor was running about $13 a sheet out here a month ago. prices vary greatly depending on region though. Much cheaper then ply in my region.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase