Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
HomieTheClown

Wet tile saw problems

Hey all,

Pretty frustrated and hope ya'll can help

I am having issues (AGAIN) with making cuts on porcelain tiles. Check out the picture below. My old King diamond 10" blade that I was using for my current remodel started making these jagged cuts as seen in the picture. The blade was 3 years old and had already been used on my previous bathroom so I thought it was a good time to replace the blade. I ended up buying a blade(rtc t3 razor). I had heard good reviews.
When I first used the new blade, the problem was gone and the new blade seemed awesome. Now with my new blade with only a few hours of use is making the same jagged cuts as seen in the picture. It always chips out a huge piece to the right. The last cut in the picture on the right didn't chip only because I went super slow (1 inch per 15-20 seconds).
For now I will go extra slow when starting the cut. For the record it only does during the first one inch of tile. If I get past this critical area, I have no problems.

It's odd to me that a new blade cleared up the issue for a few hours only to return. My wet tile saw is a harbor freight unit that I originally paid $300 for. It's served me well but I am wondering if it's creating vibrations in the arbor area.

Ty all. I will be googling some more to see if I can find some info out.
Attached Images

Unread 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I'm guessing that the alignment might be out. Lay a framing square on the table just touching the blade with the machine off. slide the tray out & in to see if the clearance remains the same. If not, the rails may need tweaking....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
Hoggercap

Your bearings are going and the blade is wobbling?

Do Harbor Freight power tools even have bearings to start with?
Unread 06-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Not fair, Adam. I have used exactly that same setup with a 10" HF saw and the P3Razor for about three years now and it cuts perfectly straight. Is it a Target or Felker? No,,,and I owned the Felker for about 15 years ....only let it go when the bearings went out.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 06-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Laz, you have to admit that the HF saw is very hit or miss. You are one of the few that have a tool that's working well. Statistically, more people than not are quite unhappy with the HF stuff.

John, I'd do a little test. Instead of using the tray to slide the tile forward, hold the tray still and try to slide the tile forward as straight as you can for a couple of inches. Do you still have the chipping? If so, the blade is wobbling. If not, the blade and/or the tray is mis-aligned.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Laz, next time think about changing the bearings. They aren't that hard to change. Take one out and take it to an auto parts store and let them cross reference the numbers. My old Felker that I used for 20+ years had very common bearings, the guy at the auto parts said they were used in Chevrolet alternators, plus in other things too. Over the years I bet I changed the bearings 4-5 times.

Those type saws have a shaft with the motor sitting behind it along with a belt. The newer saws like the DeWalt are different. The bearings are in the motor since it's a direct drive set up. I've never changed that type.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Davy....Yeah, I know they are pretty easily changed out but that damn saw was a beast to lug around and I thought it might be time for a change. I did a job for a HO that bought the HF 10" puppy and I was impressed. Also, I liked the ability to plunge cut and to miter at 22.5 and 45 degrees ...as well as lighter.

Yeah, I took a chance but it's paid me back handsomely. With the T3 blade...no complaints.

Unread 06-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
HomieTheClown

Smile

I ended up getting the MK Hot dog 10" version and the problem went away. I couldn't believe how bad the RTC Turbo blade was. I ended up checking out the reviews on Amazon and realized it was a known problem. The blade dulled out very quickly and no amount of sharpening made it better. I wonder if I installed the blade backwards. I never see a rotation direction for installation.

The MK Hot Dog definitely lives up to its reputation. Great blade. I sharpen it every day at it does a great job. Hardly any chipping. Money well spent.
Unread 06-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Most blades have an arrow either painted or stamped on the blade. Sometimes the arrow is pretty small and hard to see. Sometimes when my blade is getting in bad shape, I'll run it backwards just to see if it'll last a little longer.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I've always liked the T3 blade but when it wears out, it wanders. Glad that you got the problem figured out, though.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: What everyone wishes they knew about Self-Leveling Underlayment
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase