Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
aerohead

Matching Floor Heights

I have a builder that directed me to install subfloor heat on this residential new construction under the tile in the kitchen, hall bath, and master bathroom floors. Ok No big deal, Then after my floors are in the hardwood guy comes in and does not shim his floor to match my tile. For some unknown reason the builder seems to think I should try and lower my tile to match the wood. Cant do that I says, the wood has to come up to meet the tile. I have tried until blue in the face to get them to understand why? Any suggestions on how to dumb this down to their level. It seems to me to be a no brainer and I am not going to touch a perfect install when I was only doing as directed not to mention the obvious fact that with the heat wire my tile is thicker than the 3/4" hardwood. How is it they dont get this?? I am running out of patience and 2 weeks more on this damn house.is their any legal ruling on who has to match who as far as in this as build situation, I mean my floors where in before the hardwood so whats the general consensus from like the tile institute. I just need some kind of rule that would apply here.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-14-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: needed to add content
aerohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
speed51133

Tell them you will gladly use a concrete floor grinder to bring the tiles down if they sign off on it and pay you beforehand.

Or you will rip it all out and do it again at their expense. OR get them to live with a transition strip.

Unless they specifically told you in a contract what the tile height should be you are obligated to simply do what is industry standard, which appears to be what you did.

Edit, I am not an attorney in Canada. No idea on their laws. I only play one in the US, Wisconsin to be specific. This is not legal advice, you are not a client of mine, and the above is simple the musings of my distracted mind

Last edited by speed51133; 05-14-2020 at 09:27 AM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Paul,

When I did a lot of custome homes back in the day we installed the tile, and the wood guys had to match it. All mud floors in those days, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A little communication ahead of time from everyone involved goes a long way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Having been the builder many times I can certainly empathize with his dilemma, but that's the kind of thing you learn early on and plan better the next time. But Davy's absolutely right about the solution for the next time. The builder tells the subs what he wants and they decide together how he's to get it and what it will cost.

In your current situation, the builder should decide how he wants to correct the problem and you and/or the wood flooring contractor tell him how much that's gonna cost. I expect some sort of wood transition piece is likely the easiest/best/least expensive fix.

He hasn't a leg to stand on telling you you must somehow modify your tile installation at this point unless you were told to do something other than what you did. He knows that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #6
aerohead

Thats what I thought

I agree this should have been resolved before they broke ground. I am standing my ground on an obvious solution. The hardwood has to match the tile not the other way around. my tile went in first every other surfaced including door jams and trim need to follow suit. yet here I sit tube blocked because there is a bigger issue this builder is just now realizing... the stairway elevation is now effectively 1/4" out of code and while they try to pull their collective heads out My schedule is getting jammed up. At what point do I pull up and leave this nightmare behind?

BTW I live in Vancouver WASHINGTON not BC thank you very much!
Unread 05-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

How did you build the floor? I'm guessing you went cbu>heat wire>tile? And it's probably the bottom step that doesn't have enough rise on it?

I'm guessing that the builder figured all flooring at 3/4 inch but didn't bother to pass that information on to the flooring people.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: Flood testing a shower pan: Why it's done and how to do it
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Sounds like your builder is inexperienced in what he does. Was there a site meeting of all the finish trades (flooring) before the project started? Were final selections presented and mock ups provided? Most builders I work with go to extremes on the finish details. Trades work together not independently. Looks like a transition piece will be the solution. The lowering of the tile suggestion reeks of incompetence.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase