Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like you're gonna end up better informed than most of us who have installed such roofing, Wolfgang. That, of course, is a good thing, but it may limit your ability to select a roofer you're comfortable with.

It will certainly be helpful if you can list precisely what you want when comparing prices, but, as in all things construction, beware the low bidder. There are still corners that can be cut even when the bids might appear to be for the same product and service. But I expect you know that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #17
makethatkerdistick

I am pursuing a new approach. I identified a supplier in the Dallas area (Sheffield Metals) that has the materials I want. I will ask them for local installers that use their products. Maybe that way I could get an installer who's familiar with what I want. I've been watching their youtube channel, and they've put some amazingly useful information out. I feel drawn to their business model of information and product presentation.

And yes, CX, knowledge is a curse. Got my first bid. Price was as expected (close to $30k). That really isn't the problem. However, the actual bid was five lines and the price. No mention of the base material (Galvalume) nor even the permit responsibility. They mentioned "synthetic roofing felt" as underlayment which had me confused (either it's synthetic or it's felt, right? It can't be both, or can it?) I had asked for PVDF coating but got a quote for SMP which I told them I didn't want. No itemization of labor vs. material nor the size of the roof to be covered. Zilch. Maybe that's a common thing for roofing proposals? I don't want to go with a company that doesn't put a modicum of effort into its proposals. Not for that kind of money.

In terms of underlayment, it seems to me I should get something whose warranty matches the longevity of the roof proper? Or would you say that the old-fashioned roofing felt is sufficient? It's cheaper but heavier. It seems that Sharkskin products are mentioned in some quality installs I have encountered in my research. Their advanced product carries a 50 year warranty. Plus, they offer a compatible peel and stick membrane for sensitive areas.
Unread 06-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
makethatkerdistick

Must be a busy time for roofers. Of all the eight contractors I called I only ever got one response followed by an actual quote. Not sure what to think but I wonder if this is common?

Unfortunately, the only contractor who got back to me with a quote wants to install Owens Corning ProArmor as an underlayment. I checked into it, and the installation instructions say this is only for shingle roofs. I emailed Owens Corning customer support, and they told me to absolutely NOT use this under a metal roof. Sure, I could talk the contractor into changing the underlayment to something appropriate but I am not motivated to do so. Not particularly encouraging to know that they chose the wrong product at this stage.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase