Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #46
Gozo

With Schluter system stuff, you really don’t need the lifetime warranty; if it leaks, it’s due to an installation issue, not the materials. Depending on your experience, the few bucks more for the Schluter mortar might be worth it if you don’t have to go out of your way to get it. They market a very nice premium mortar that’s easy to work with and has a decent pot life.
Unread 06-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #47
sd6000

I will be setting porcelain floor tile with ditra. So I fall in the great debate of modified VS unmodified for porcelain on ditra.
Schluter wants unmodified, but if you use their brand modified it's allowed? Seems odd to me... Does theirs cure without evaporation?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Unread 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #48
cx
Moderator emeritus

Bryan, if you wanna use the Schluter products, you should follow the Schluter instructions. If you don't care for the modified v. un-modified debate, use a competitive uncoupling membrane that allows/requires a modified thinset mortar. There are several.

Or use the Ditra and whatever thinset mortar suits your fancy. Custom's Versabond, available at Homer's, will work just fine in that application at a very reasonable price. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #49
sd6000

I've used stratamat with versabond in the past with great results.

Only reason I am looking at ditra with the porcelain is because I was seriously thinking about installing ditra heat in the bathroom (not the closet). I do see strataheat exists, but availability is more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Unread 06-06-2020, 06:17 AM   #50
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
FWIW, Bryan, I installed Ditra Heat in my recent-ish bathroom overhaul, and used the aforementioned Versabond for sticking both the Ditra to the Hardie backer on the floor, and the porcelain tile to the Ditra. No issues whatsoever.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase