Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #151
jb9

I have a few more question before I start setting tile.

-If I use a 1/4" square notch trowel, should the final bed of mortar in which the tile sits basically be 1/8" thick? Does the tile sit on top of the mortar or does the tile get pressed tight? And what is the optimal amount of thinset coming up the 3/8" side of the tile? Zero? 1/16"? More?

-I probably cannot back butter the mosaic tile sheets due to the mesh so is a looser mix acceptable so that the mortar makes its way through the mesh?

-Out of curiosity, how many batches of mortar does a pro usually mix during the course of a day (assuming one is setting tile for an 8 hour day)? I mix a small batch and make sure I am finished with it within an hour. Is it OK to hand stir the thinset to keep it moist (without adding water)?

Thanks in advance.

John
Unread 05-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #152
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi John, 1/8 is about right, could be a little more or less than that. I would concentrate on getting the tiles flat with good coverage rather than the thickness of the thinset.

I would mix the thinset about the same but I rarely mix it real stiff for anything. You don't want it runny.

Depends what we're installing. Mixing small batches that last about an hour or so is best. Mixing periodically is fine as long as you don't add water.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #153
jb9

Thanks Davy.

It's helpful to hear you recommend that I should only mix what I can use in an hour. When I have been doing the Kerdi Band, I work for between 40 minutes to an hour and then that's it... even if I have mud left, I stop. Obviously a pro can work faster so they may use more mud than I can.

I have been mixing the All-Set at the 6.5q/50lb bag ratio (obviously not the 50lb bag) but I may make it a little stiffer but not too much for the tile.

Getting ready to set some of the floor sheets but I need to cut down the cardboard floor protector for the foam tray so I have a place to work.
Unread 06-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #154
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I probably don't use much more mud than you. John Bridge told me a long time ago that standing around time is very important. I'm pretty good at it these days. Always good to learn from the best.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #155
jb9

Thanks Davy. I just finished the waterproofing and I am getting ready to set the floor tile. I have a few questions before I get started...

-Do most pros leave the center (drain) mosaic sheet out and set that after setting the sheets around it? Or should I determine which individual tiles need to be cut for the drain and simply remove those tiles from the sheet and try to set the center sheet as well?

-Does the drain assembly washer/disc flange need to be tight to the bonding flange underneath and then you can manually adjust the height of the cylinder?

-I am a little nervous about the ooze factor when I set the tile. I am going to use a 1/4" square but I expect that if one pushes hard enough, the thinset would certainly ooze (and leave me a cleaning nightmare... A 3/16" V-notch would definitely use less mortar but I just want to make sure the mortar gets through the mesh that is holding the individual tiles.

-Davy, why is it important to pick a thinset consistency and stick with it for both the walls and floor? Just curious...

-I hope I can do the floor in one shot (it's 15 sheets) but I probably can't... is this a mistake? Am I foolish to not try and do it all in one day due to the greater possibility for lippage where one sheet ended and the next day's sheet started?

-What is the smallest amount I could trim off a 3" x 3" tile with a high quality Dewalt wet saw?

Last edited by jb9; 06-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.
jb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #156
jb9

Bump.

I have another question....

-How much thinset would a pro typically mix for a 3' x 3' shower floor? I'm trying to gauge how much mortar I should mix. I am using a 1/4" x 1/4" trowel.

Last edited by jb9; 06-14-2020 at 09:44 AM.
jb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #157
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You might want to change the consistency slightly depending on the size and weight of the tiles and the application. Say, if someone is installing Kerdi, they might want to mix it a little thinner. But, overall, the consistency would be close to the same in most cases. In my opinion, you're over thinking it.

I would lay the sheets in place dry, making the cuts as you go. Then, when you mix thinset, you're ready to go. Pull up one row at a time, starting at the back wall and spread thinset. Lay those in place. Then pick up the next row and repeat. If you place the tiles right and straight, they should fit right back like they were before. On a 3x3 shower, you should be able to kneel down on the curb and reach the back row.

Just add 3/4-1 inch of water and add enough thinset to get the consistency the way you want it. Throw away the left over. Pancake batter consistency is a little too thin and peanut butter is a little too stiff. Get it somewhere in between.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #158
jb9

Thanks Davy. I got the 1st row of floor tile laid. Fingers crossed. I didn't have any significant ooze to clean up and I beat things down with the float. I hit my control line so I'll keep going.

I am guilty as charged for overthinking things so I sincerely appreciate the advice and encouragement. Just trying to avoid a disaster.
Unread 06-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #159
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

If you do get a little squeeze-out, let it set up for two or three hours and then scrape gently with and old rounded screwdriver or something similar --- something that won't reach through and tear the membrane.

By that time the tiles will be set firmly, but the thinset will still be removable.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #160
jb9

Ok. I have set the floor tile and will post some pictures shortly.

I need to start working on the walls. I don't understand how to approach the layout. I have 3 walls that will "wrap" in which the tile will go through the corner. What are the best practices for "wrapping" in which I want the tile to appear as though it is continuous. My tile is 4" x 8" and I am going to do a brick pattern (alternating by half).

One wall is 43 1/4"
Next adjacent wall is 64 3/4"
Next adjacent wall is 24 1/2"

I have annotated a drawing to show.

I am assuming I don't approach each wall as a separate entity but rather consider how all three walls will flow into each other. Is this correct?

I drew one long segment to consider all 3 walls as a continuous length to see where the 4" x 8" wall tiles will break. Is this how a pro would approach this problem?

Also, I plan on building a supported ledger to start the first row. However, the floor is complete so I suppose I could start at the bottom row...

Is my approach correct?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 06-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #161
jb9

So do I start on the wall that is 64 3/4" as this is the "middle" of the 3 adjacent walls and try to get the two corners of this wall to end on a full tile/half tile?

That way I could get the other 1st and 3rd walls to "wrap" and have the look of a continuous tile pattern?
Unread 06-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #162
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
That's how I'd do it, John, start with the 64" wall. You want to avoid slivers if you can so shifting the layout to the left or right just a bit may help, no one will notice if the centerline of the 64" wall tile is off by a little. You could also adjust the joint size a bit if that helps. But sometimes slivers are unavoidable.

Unless your completed floor is level and flat around the perimeter use the ledger, then cut the bottom row tiles to fit.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #163
jb9

Thanks Dan.

I managed to find a few "wrapping" or "folding" threads on the forum that basically say there is some latitude on how to approach the corners. Basically, I need to avoid a sliver in the corner. With an 8" (7 13/16") wide tile, am I looking at less than 4" as a defined sliver... not sure.

The good news is I can model this 3 dimensionally in Sketchup and see what looks good to my eye. Good advice to possibly tweak a grout joint.

I won't be fully focused on the centering either. I think the wrapped corner detail is the one I need to be most mindful of. I'll get some more pictures posted and make some more decisions. Floor thinset is curing so I have a little time.

I really appreciate folks checking in on this thread. I need a bathroom badly right now!
Unread 06-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #164
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Whenever possible, I like to start on the back wall. To me, the back wall is the one I'm looking at when standing outside the shower looking in. Doesn't matter if it's the largest wall or if it's smaller, that's the wall I like to center up and start on. I like the side walls to cut into the back wall and tiling the back wall first allows this. Dad always said that doing it this way takes the grout joints in the corners away from the eye.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #165
jb9

That is helpful Davy. I am running some numbers and it looks like I can center the back wall and even have a quarter section tile "wrap" through the corner.

Here are some pictures of the floor tile. I hope it comes out ok. This work is pretty stressful... I have a lot of respect for the pros who do this.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase