Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
Mike Tursellino

Subway outside corner tile or field tile first.

Good evening, looking for some advice. I'm installing subway tile in a shower. I am using corner tiles on the outside corner. I attached pics to show. Would you install these tiles first or after all of the field tile is installed first. I feel like I want to use a straight edge and install first but wanted to hear what you all think. The advice here is great. Thank you in advance
Attached Images

Unread 04-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Hi, Mike.

You can do it either way. Assuming you are doing a 50% overlap, I would mock up two courses to see where they fall.

1) starting with bullnose installed first, and the cut tiles terminating in the corner of the shower

2) Start with a full and half (second course) tile in the shower corner and see what size cuts you end up with at the bullnose.

3) center a whole tile and a grout line on the wall and see what you end up with in the corner and at the bullnose.

You decide which layout you prefer. There are no rules, but the preference is to not have any sliver tiles. You might also consider if you are installing the rear wall first which will change things by a tile thickness and a grout line in the corners.

If you decide to do the wall first, mark with a vertical line where your field tile will need to end so tyhat the bullnose fits like it should.

Last edited by Snets; 04-14-2022 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
smifwal

How are you waterproofing your shower?
Unread 04-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #4
diydanny

Hi mike,

Im just a noob that all these guys have helped. Theyre probably goin to ask you how you attached what looks to me like cbu on your curb, the lowest screw line height around the walls, the four corners of the durock that all line up and what youre planning to use as waterproofing.
Unread 04-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Mike Tursellino

Ok .... Thanks for the tile advice. I think I'll do the bull ose first too and will be easier to get a nice straight corner. As for the layout, I'm going to do back wall after corner. Tiles. The rows will be brick pattern
And back wall is just basically perfect at 54 inch wrapped around to corner leaves 1 and 4 inch tiles at corner tile

As for person asking about waterproofing. Beefed up subfloor with 3/4 ply,1st layer preslope mortar 4:1 mix, 1/4 in per ft slope to drain...then liner 6 inch up wall, leak tested 24hr, then top layer 4:1 mix . Backer has plastic behind it overlapping floor membrane and backer is 1/2 above floor. Curb is mud not backer. It came perfect because I used Kirb perfect..researched the hell out of this project and think it's all correct
Thanks
Unread 04-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #6
Mike Tursellino

And I didn't mesh tape backer yet but will be before tile
Unread 04-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mike.

For your next one, the required height for your pan liner in a traditionally built receptor (yours) is that the liner rise 6 inches above the floor or 3 inches above the curb, whichever is higher. And no mechanical fasteners any lower than 2 inches above the top of the curb.

The ends of the curb are usually the first points of failure when that waterproofing is not done correctly, including dam corners and having your moisture barrier membrane extend out beyond the shower curb at least a couple inches.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #8
Mike Tursellino

Liner up wall 3 inch above curb. Notched studs....Also no screws below that 3 in mark for cement board. I did use corner dams with correct glue and no penetrations in liner except outside bottom to.hold.it
.....i followed the floor elf website...
CX....what do u think about tiling outside corner first?
Unread 04-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would not, but you certainly can if you want. I would draw a line on the inside edge of the mud cap and tile to that line. All dealer's choice.

In any case, you'll want to be sure that corner is very, very close to perfectly plumb both ways.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
Snets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tursellino
I'm going to do back wall after corner.
I prefer to do the back wall first, it makes the 90-degree silicone joint in the corner less visible from outside the shower, IMO. Looks like you are on your way to a nice shower!
Unread 04-14-2022, 08:05 PM   #11
Mike Tursellino

Thanks ....originally the corner was not. I made the shower walls perfectly plumb but didn't focus on that. And it was 1/2 off top to bottom. So I opened it and shimmed it. Corner is precise. And I did draw the line like u said. Just wasn't sure which way was better but I see you guys are saying either is fine......so do you approve of my shower pan? I hope lol.
Unread 04-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #12
Snets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tursellino
so do you approve of my shower pan? I hope lol.
I've never built a traditional shower receptor (PVC Liner, pre-slope, etc.) but sounds like you have done your homework: You did a pre-slope, you used corner dams with correct glue, you understand penetrations and you did a mud curb with penetrations only on the outside. Oh, and you will alkali-resistant mesh tape/thin-set mortar your CBU joints prior. And you have a moisture barrier behind the CBU.

I assume your curb liner under the mud is sloped toward the drain?
Unread 04-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #13
Mike Tursellino

Another question - now about niche

Hello all, once again I appreciate the great advice given. I ended up installing the corner tile as I went up the wall. But I'm having an issue at the niche. I messed up my measurements for the tile leading up to niche. I will end up with a subway tile sliver 3/8 below the niche shelf (picture has a plywood shelf for marble and a board showing tile rows, forget the proper name to simulate). I measured numerous times and still messed up. I was wondering if you think option 1 or 2 is better? Or a solution of your own.
Option 1 would be to thinset 2 layers of cement backer under the marble shelf at bottom of niche raising it an inch to give a 1 - 3/8 tile under shelf. Is this ok durability wise?
Option 2 would be a small quarter round over the space like other photo. See pics. Can a small quarter be mortared partially on top of tile?
Removing the niche is not an option as I'd have to destroy it getting it out. The alignment at top of niche is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated
Mike
Attached Images

Unread 04-27-2022, 06:17 AM   #14
CaliGrown

Can’t go wrong with either option, personally I prefer option 2. It’ll be a feature and only you’ll know it’s a cheat :F

Btw, I’ve done the same thing before at the top of a niche in my earlier days of configuring layouts. Here’s a pic of the evidence
Attached Images

CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2022, 06:24 AM   #15
Mike Tursellino

Nice cheat! Looks good..gives me a good visual..Thanks for the validation now I have options.
Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase