Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jake, if your mortar bed is coming apart to the extent that the waterproof liner is exposed, I'd strongly recommend you remove the remainder of the mortar bed, call it practice, and create a new mortar bed that is sound. The materials are dirt cheap and the DIY labor is free.

It's difficult to assess without some good photos, but if you've got divots an inch and a half deep (the minimum required thickness), you really want to re-do that entire mortar bed. Patching a deck mud installation doesn't work well.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #32
Jake20

You, sir, are a prophet. No sooner had I completed my latest entry I took a hammer and chisel to the entire ghetto operation. It's been a ramshackle process from the getgo and probably would have failed had I continued nickel and diming it together.

This will be my fourth attempt from scratch and have learned lots along the way: add sand to the mortar mix, actually "pack" the dry pack, bury the curb lath in the mortar bed. I'm hopeful this will my final and best attempt.

Now for a beer, a nap, and back to square 1.
Unread 06-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #33
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Of course I agree with the prophet. Glad to hear you busted it out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, I wanted to be a profit.

Unread 06-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #35
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #36
Jake20

The floor rebuild went better than anticipated. A little irregularity here and there but nothing I think requiring any more than a little thinset to fix.

Moving forward I floated the curb over stacked 2x4s, Oatey liner, and metal lathe. The finished product wasn’t quite the rectangular prism I envisioned. It is sloped into the shower — so I got that going for me. The issue is a 1/2 inch discrepancy in curb width at one end. I initially thought it was something I could fine tune later on but the mortar dried much quicker than expected.

Is it possible to sand the wider end to even everything out? Would it be less hassle to mask the difference with a shower curb cap?

Last edited by Jake20; 07-26-2022 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Needed clarification
Jake20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #37
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd bust the mud off he curb and call the first go around practice. You can try using a rub brick to carve it down. Really depends on how hard your mud is. If it's as hard as it should be, it won't carve very much.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #38
Jake20

Thank you for the advice. I don’t know if my heart could take another rebuild. I’ll try the brick.
Unread 07-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #39
Kman

Never heard of such. But I don't tile directly to the mortar anymore since surface-applied membranes became popular.

I guess if you want to adhere to that advice, you can save the mud til the day you plan to also tile the floor, or plan to do the floor tile much later at the end.

FYI, those sand topping mix bags are about 3:1 ratio, and you want 5:1. So add half of a 50 pound bag of sand to each 60 pound bag of sand topping mix.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2022, 06:55 AM   #40
Jake20

Davy, I’ve taken your advice and redoing the curb. There was no salvaging my first attempt.

I thought I had more time to shape the mortar once it was up on the curb but it seemed like it set pretty quickly. I used Quikrete Type S straight out of the bag and mixed with the recommended amount of water, drier than I thought. It was reminiscent of the sand topping mix I used for the pan.

Would you recommend a different product? Thank you.
Unread 08-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

For the curb and mud walls, I like the Qwikcrete scratch and brown base coat. It might be hard to find. I’ve been told that any Home Depot can order it. Or, you can use 4 parts of all purpose sand, 1 part of Portland cement and 1 part lime to make you own wall mud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #42
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jake, not sure exactly which Quikrete product you used, but I know the Quikrete Mason Mix (1136) is a Type S will work for building your curb. The Mortar Mix (1102) will also work, but it's a Type N, which a bit light on Portland cement for my tastes, but it'll make a curb. And if you've got some Portland on hand, you can make it a Type S easily enough.

Stuff Davy is recommending will work better, but none of my local Home Depots carry it and the nearest one is a nightmare to order from. And they will no longer bring in product from other nearby stores as they usta do. PITA, that.

His custom mix is your best option if you happen to have the components on hand. Also difficult for me to get lime locally these days.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #43
Jake20

Thanks for the responses. It was the type s mason mix. It seemed really dry and somewhat to difficult shape despite adding the recommended amount of water. Per a shower curb YouTube instructional, I was expecting to come back the next morning and still be able to shape it, somewhat.

I think I’ll try making mud from scratch this time around.
Unread 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

You really gotta be careful who's YouTube videos you watch, Jake.

Unread 08-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #45
Jake20

Angry

Curb rebuild went great. I followed John’s method — easy, solid , moving on…onto a new problem

I floated the top bed for the umpteenth time today and it wasn’t my best work, couldn’t get the birdbath corrected despite my best efforts. It’s noticeable enough that it should probably be fixed. Is it reasonable to lay thinset a little thicker in the area when I place the mosaic tile and consider it a fix?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase