Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
John W Foster

Looking for advice on large outdoor project

Here are a whole bunch of questions.

We have built a large outdoor post and beam structure. It is on a massive floating slab, over 24" of concrete around the perimeter and close to 12" inside. It would easily support a 4 story building! Currently the concrete has a broom finish and is quite useable.

The original plan was to tile it ourselves, we are starting to chicken out. We have done many smaller inside tile jobs, never a large outdoor one.

We have already purchased the tile , Mediterannea Old Chicago 4"x8" that we will lay in a parquet pattern. We have also purchased RedGard roll on that we planned on using. We are open to any brands of thinset and grout although Custom Building Products are the most easily available to us.

1) We live in Southern Ontario Canada, is the season running out on us? a lot of products say that they want night temperatures above 10 C.

2) RedGard gives a fairly short window to tile in after application, they say that you can tarp it to extend that window, does tarping help sufficiently?

3) We haven't been able to figure out a border, the Mediterannea edge pieces are way over priced. Should we leave the concrete sides bare? Use a contrasting product? I think that just banding the Old Chicago around the edge won't look right with the parquet pattern, the grout lines would not match. We could edge as we tiled and drape a full tile or half tile as required to match the floor.

It is probably late in the season to find a good installer, are we better to wait until spring and shop contractors this winter, get on the list for as soon as the warm weather comes in the spring? The RedGard is a complicating factor, if we start and find we are in over our heads we probably wouldn't find a contractor on short notice.

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 09-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

For what purpose are you installing the RedGard? Waterproofing would require the slab to be properly sloped for drainage, which I doubt is the case in your slab. If for crack isolation, your broom finish might be fine if it is not a heavy broom finish. Broom finishes are fine for tile installation, of course, but the liquid-applied crack isolation products would prefer something a bit smoother, I think.

1. Most tile setting products manufacturers, including Custom, want their products, and the associated materials, used above 40 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 5 of y'all's big ol' Centigrade degrees. That generally includes at the time of installation and for 72 hours thereafter. Whether it's reasonable to expect that condition in your locale in September, I cannot say.

2. Not at all sure I understand the "short window" aspect of the use of RedGard you're concerned with. I do know they don't like the applied material exposed to UV radiation for extended periods, but that requires no more than covering the cured material with something to block the sunlight. And if it's really a timing problem for a DIY installation, you can simply not apply the RedGard to more area than you expect to tile within their window of exposure.

3. I dunno.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase