Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #46
midwest girl

Warning - just got out of hospital- my head is a bit dizzy

I’ve ordered some porcelain hexagon mosaic tile to see if it looks nice enough to switch out my marble ones. In the event that I don’t like it, I have a question:

If you need to replace some tiles attached to a mesh backing, is it better/easier to use some type of adhesive to attach the substitute tile onto the mesh - OR - is it easier/better to simply handset those tiles?

If it’s better set by hand, do you simply put thinset on the back of the substitute piece and place on the empty spot on the mosaic mesh mat that’s just been set?

I’m not setting the tile (although I actually think it would be easier since I’ve meticulously selected the substitute tiles) - I just am trying to figure out how irritated my tile setter will be if he has to handset a some of the individual pieces (and how much extra money I should offer to pay him). The majority of the tiles will not be substituted!

FYI - I am not a CRAZY person! I’m sure it sounds like it - with the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS OF tile selections available and my apparent inability to find one that fulfills my need. I had the perfect mosaic tile selected/purchased way back at the beginning of March.

The reason I have this issue now is because apparently my contractor failed to pick up the mosaic tiles for my shower pan/niche within the appropriate “window” (I sent reminders a few times - and my understanding was that it had been picked up along with the tile for the wall behind the vanity) - SO - the materials were returned to stock (actually, they were sold directly to a different customer). My shower project has been delayed by 4+ weeks due to the initial issues I had re: the incorrect construction of my shower pan. I have NOT done/failed to do anything to delay the project.

The tile store can’t obtain more of the same mosaic tiles as I originally ordered for at least 6-7 weeks. I haven’t had a fully functioning bathroom in my house since the first week of April! Yes, I’ve been showering (in the dark actually last night - another story). Parts of individual bathrooms work, I just don’t have a single bathroom that has all parts currently working. So, I don’t want to wait another two months . . .

The tile store gave my GC a couple substitute ones. I like the colors in one of the new mosaics - but I don’t like how the white hexagons have been set in a pattern vs. randomly set like all the other colors are on the mesh sheet (and how the white ones were set on my original tile selection). The other mosaic has randomly set white tiles - but it doesn’t include any dark gray/charcoal hexagons as in the original - which I specifically wanted to use in order to tie in the color of my slate herringbone tile floors. Plus, it includes a few warm gray tiles which do not look good with the other cooler gray tones.

My daughter was laughing at me last night as she saw me gently peeling certain hexagon pieces off of the mesh - and then selecting a new replacement hexagon to lay on the mesh in its place. She couldn’t understand why it mattered so much - I told her because I plan to die in this very shower at some point in the future!

As this new method of merging material from two different mosaic tiles will cost me basically double the price, I’d like to make sure it stays installed on the shower floor. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Unread 05-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #47
midwest girl

Need some advice re: setting mosaic tiles

I added this to the end of my thread re: help with professional shower stall a few hours ago but I’m not sure anyone is looking at that thread still. I need to figure this out tonight. Thanks

Short issue: need to replace certain 2” hexagons that are part of a mosaic tile. I explained why in the other post. What I really need to know is if I should use some sort of glue to attach the replacement hexagon tile pieces to the mesh backing OR if they should just be set by hand when the entire mosaic piece of mesh is being installed?

If I should do it ahead of time - what type of adhesive should I use - and how long should I let it dry before setting the entire mosaic mesh tile on the shower floor? Someone told me to simply use clear Gorilla Glue. Well, I’m not sure if that’s a good idea to use with marble.

Next Q - how much extra should I offer to pay my tile setter for doing this? All the tiles will be removed and the replacement ones will either be glued down (if that’s the advice I receive) or will be laying in the spot on the mosaic sheet.

The majority of tiles will not be removed/replaced. I would actually offer to help do this myself but I’m not sure that the tile setter will want my help!

If you want the longer story - it’s on the other thread. While it provides a few extra details, not sure how much more entertaining or useful it is!

Thanks!
Unread 05-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #48
Lou_MA

Just set them by hand as you set the sheet.

Re: payment - dunno. Did he account for this in any contract?
Unread 05-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #49
midwest girl

Lou - nothing is in the contract about this - the issue didn’t arise until afterwards.

FYI - he’s not asking for any additional money for this - however - I only think it’s fair to compensate him for it. I’m just unsure as to how much extra time/difficulty this adds to this part of the tile work - so, I have no idea how much extra I should pay him (as a little bonus or something like that).
Unread 05-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #50
midwest girl

CX - I’d like to change the name of this thread if possible. I have some additional questions that are related to the construction of this shower - but they don’t relate to my initial post. I’m not sure what I should change it to in order to receive some feedback on these additional Qs.

For example, my question above regarding how much extra work it is to have several individual pieces out of individual mosaic mesh sheets replaced with substitute pieces due to chips/color issues etc. I really would like to receive advice on how much extra compensation I should pay for the extra work.

I’ve removed the pieces off of the sheets - and I have the substitute tile pieces ready. I wanted to adhere them to the sheets ahead of time for him - but when I asked about doing that, the only advice I received was to just let him set them individually.

I’ve asked my GC directly how much extra work is involved - but he just smiled and told me not to worry about it. While I appreciate that - I want to do what’s right/fair. Thanks!
Unread 05-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #51
jerrymlr1

How many pieces are you talking about Dani? It doesn't sound like a whole lot of extra work. If the contractor and the tile setter both say not to worry about it maybe buy lunch one day and make his day. I probably put 100-200 a day in separately with the tile I'm working with right now just because they have fallen off the sheets and it's not a problem.
Unread 05-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

Dani, your current title is sufficient and now recognized by the folks most likely to answer your questions. Matters not at all what the questions are, so long as they pertain to the project at hand. Each new post causes the thread to rise to the top of the queue and the title to be in bold print to get attention.

We can certainly change the title, but only to something else that is generic and not a specific question. You really just want a title to identify the project, the rest takes care of itself on this forum.

I suspect the lack of response to the question you point out has more to do with our all-volunteer army of helpers not having an answer for you than not seeing the question. I, for one, have no idea what you might want to pay extra for that service and think the GC's response is likely the correct one. "Don't worry about it."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #53
midwest girl

Using piece of tile to make shaving ledge in shower

I purchased a couple options to use as a shaving shelf/ledge in my new shower. I have a Schluter pre-made small niche and a Sanliv corner mounted foot rest pictured below.

I am not sure if water will collect in the niche - it’s fairly small (but a bit bigger than I would like).

The foot rest looks like it might be a good option - however, I didn’t ask my contractor to plan for this when constructing the shower. I’m not sure if he will be able to hit studs when attaching.

I thought about using an 8” rounded corner shelf - but I haven’t found one that can be here this week (I’m hoping that tiling will happen tomorrow/Friday (FINALLY!).

I have a piece of 4”x12” tile - is there a way to make is work? It’s honed Italian marble - 0.4” thick. I don’t need to store anything on it - just need it for a foot rest.

I won’t be standing on it/resting full weight. But if my weight still matters - I weigh 118 lbs.

I really appreciate your help! Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 06-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #54
smifwal

I use something like this when I put in those "shaving ledges"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-A...7-BN/312230832

It will support more than 2 of you You really want something stout in case you lose you balance, get dizzy, you see where I am going with this. The unforeseen
Unread 06-25-2021, 03:21 AM   #55
Lou_MA

Re: water collecting in niche - the bottom of the niche should be sloped slightly towards the drain. Ideally, the waterproofing layer itself would be sloped, although some of the prefab niches have a flat bottom so all the slope is done when the tile itself is set.

Re: shaving ledge - you could look into the smallest Better Bench but the look may be beefier than what you have in mind. I wouldn't use just that italian marble on it's own, with no support. Too much risk it'll fracture or break.
Unread 06-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #56
PhilWA

I put in extra studs/framing for a better bench in my shower, then opted for a removable teak stool designed for the corner of a shower instead. The teak has held up surprisingly well.
Unread 06-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #57
midwest girl

I have thought about adding a small grab bar - would be a good idea because I do get dizzy at times.

Lou - I know that the niche should have a slight angle for water runoff - I just haven’t had a shower niche before and am not sure if having the slight angle completely takes care of the possible issues. I am just worried that having one located down low will take on a lot of water and still have some issues despite the tilted bottom shelf. Maybe I’m “over thinking” this!

I’ve found threads on here where a couple pieces of tile have been used to make a very small corner shelf by some pros. Are you concerned about using the marble because a single piece of tile is only 0.4” thick - or are you concerned about using marble generally? Maybe I could purchase a marble threshold (it’s in stock) and use a piece of that since it’s thicker?

Maybe the best answer is the metal bar thing assuming that it will line up with studs. I need to go find a stud locator and see if that’s even an option at this point.
Unread 06-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #58
jerrymlr1

I’ve done corner shelves out of both marble and granite. I like to use the 3/8 thick material and put one on top and one of the bottom and glass mosaics in between them. They are strong and look good too.

I would probably stay away from the little bar. The odds of hitting a stud on both sides it pretty slim I’m thinking.
Unread 06-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #59
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter has some metal, tile-in shelves you might look into. They must be installed during the tiling phase.

Also, look at some of the Wing-its fasteners...they're super strong and can also be installed after the tile is already up.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #60
midwest girl

Desperately need advice re: taking over shower completion

First - I apologize for the length of this post. I just had surgery and am taking multiple medications that make me drowsy and make my brain feel “fuzzy.” I am experiencing a great deal of stress - and it’s very detrimental to my health - especially right now.

I joined JBF over five months ago because I was having an issue re: the install of my shower pan. My GC was out of town, and his regular subcontractor was not available. I noticed that there was no pre-slope and immediately questioned the install.

While I was told by the subcontractor that he has been installing shower pans for over 20 years - without a single failure - I still stopped the installation and let my GC know that I did not want this subcontractor working on my shower install.

I have been waiting to have my shower tile installed for MONTHS. Experience/professional tile setters are in great demand + it’s been more difficult for me to find someone willing to take over a project that has been started already. I did do due diligence on this person. I followed suggestions I read on selecting someone. He belongs to the correct organization(s) (I’m blanking on name due to no sleep + medication). I also received several recommendations- including a referral from one of my former law partners.

FYI - I had surgery this past Friday. I came home from the hospital late Monday afternoon. The tile installation began yesterday (Tuesday) morning.

I met with the tile setter when he arrived to go over a few things . I wanted to make sure that the tiles would be mixed (blended). I had already asked (in a text) what type of adhesive he would be using to install my marble tile a few weeks ago. His reply was that he used white thin set for marble installations.

I am a little OCD about details - so, I again asked about the thin set when he was setting up - and was told it would be white thin set. I went back to bed - I’m supposed to be on bed rest for the next 3-4 days. When I went down stairs to grab something for lunch, I looked out in the garage and saw an opened bag of white thin set.

After he left for the day, I went to look at the shower. I was a little unhappy about the thin pieces of tile used in both corners on each row. My understanding is that you should adjust how you set the center piece of tile in order to avoid these types of pieces (by shifting the center tile over). Unfortunately, I was in bed while this was happening on pain medicine.

I knew that the tile would be discolored due to water saturation from the thin set so I was prepared for that. Around 8 p.m., I decided to do a little research to see how long it typically takes for the tile to lighten back up - I didn’t want to worry about it (stress greatly aggravates my health). While I was reading some posts, I started questioning whether an had seen a smaller bucket in the bathroom (when I met with him that morning, I saw two larger empty buckets - I assumed one of the was for missing the thin set). Rather than wonder - I decided to go check.

I found a bucket of Omnigrip premium lightweight tile adhesive - and I immediately started worrying. I assumed that it was mastic - and I know that you’re not supposed to use mastic - especially in a shower AND with white (translucent) marble. I read the bucket - and while the word “ attic” was ever used - based upon the ingredients, I knew that it was not thin set. While the instructions stated that it was for various types of tile -including stone - it did not mention marble (it referred to gauged slate and other tiles).

The directions/specifications specifically provided that it was not to be used to install “moisture-sensitive natural stone, white translucent or resin backed marble.” ALSO, the instructions/specifications expressly stated, “Do not use as a setting material over RedGard Waterproofing.”

When I went back into the garage to look at the opened bag of white thin set again - I actually looked inside the bag - it looks pretty full. I didn’t look inside of it earlier that afternoon.

I then began panicking - and started furiously reading threads here on JBF.

I wanted to start tearing the tile down in order to see if I could save it. My SO talked me out of it - reminding me that I was not supposed to be out of bed. He said that if it the mastic had been used, the tile would have to be replaced if it could not be saved. While that’s easy in theory - it’s not so easy in practice.

One of the reasons for the extreme delay in completing my shower was related to an issue with some of the boxes of tile I received. When it was set to be installed the first time, we discovered that some low quality/bad looking boxes had been mixed in with my order. I had opened 3/4 of the boxes ahead of time - and the tile was beautiful. These last boxes looked like a completely different grade of marble. I specifically purchased Carrara tile from Italy - through my GC - and spent $$$ in order to receive a high quality tile -and it took several weeks to receive 3x9 tiles that looked somewhat similar to my original tile.

I am SO MAD at myself - I KNOW that mastic should NOT be used. I should have gone back into the bathroom to check on the project during the installation - because I probably would have noticed the smaller bucket - and would have seen him using it on the walls. If I had done so, I could have prevented this entire mess.

Here are my questions:

1. Will the installed tile be able to removed today without having it break?

2. Will the tile be permanently stained by the mastic - or can it be cleaned off and reused (assuming it doesn’t break when removing)?

3. Does the CBU (covered with RedGard) need to be replaced before installing tile again on that wall?

And here is my most important question -

4. Should I just install the tile myself once I’ve recovered from my surgery? It will take forever to find someone else to do the job + I feel like I know more than the people that I keep running into with this project. My SO thinks I’m CRAZY - but I know that I would be very detail oriented + use the correct products.

I am tired of not having a master bathroom in my house. One of my daughters broke up with her fiancé and wants to move home. My sister and niece are staying here already due to some issues involving an ex-husband and a protection from abuse order. I really need this bathroom to be finished. The project began in April. I feel like I could have built a couple showers by myself during this time.

All of this stress is KILLING ME. I don’t know what to do. I’ve asked about doing my other bathroom shower myself - and received positive comments from pros on JBF. As an attorney, I sometimes over analyze situations - so, I apologize for asking again.

Thanks,

Dani
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase