Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #1
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Kerdi matt over drywall for shower walls, really??

Hi all, I have a couple of showers I'm going to be doing in Nov and I'd like to try the Kerdi system (kerdi drain, matt for waterproofing) the whole deal. What's been everyones take on the product? I really like the drain system from what I can see, its slick.

How about putting the Kerdi over sheetrocked walls as I've heard others do. Is that really a good idea? or use CBU? What about doing the curb?

I watched the Kerdi video and am going to SC in a week for the seminar at TCA put on by Schluter. Thanks to Dave Gobis!

Oh, and I fairly good at hangin wall paper, I've got an old victorian house, so the Kerdi film shouldn't be a problem and at least it doesn't have a flower pattern on it
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-03-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
Dog paws
Tileman

Yes really. The seminar you are going to will make you an expert. Plenty of hands on training from some of the top tile guys in the country. When you meet Cal at the CTEF, ask that old mud man what he thinks of Kerdi.
Your going to like working with the Kerdi system and you are about to have a great time at this workshop.

Last edited by Dog paws; 10-03-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Dog paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
I instaled Nobleseal TS over dry wall in my own shower in 1990.Noble has been doing thin set waterproffing since 1992.
Unread 10-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Colleen,

Congratulations on your acceptance in the Dave Gobis School of Applied Tile Science.

As Michael says, you will enjoy the seminar. It's a lot of knowledge to absorb in a couple days, but they make it fun. The chow is great and the adult beverages are more than adequate.

Just don't get Cal to talking about the good old days.

Be sure to say hi to my Schluter friends for me.

Oh, the shower. Yes, I'm convinced Kerdi over sheetrock or over backer board is a great way to go.

I could do it with Nobelseal, too, but then of course I wouldn't have a Kerdi-drain, would I?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Oh so Cal is a "schluterized mudmeister" like you guys?

I KNOW I'm going to have fun, especially when it comes to asking all my annoying questions about porcelain, cut tile pieces and Ditra hehehe! And adult beverages, yes, makes me glad I'm leavin the hubby home and I can talk tile for 3 days.
Unread 10-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't forgit to take along a copy of your Tile Goddess picher so's they'll know who they's dealin' with, eh?
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
JJC
Tile Contractor

Colleen,

Went to the school a couple of yrs. ago. I do the Kerdi over the "Greenboard" ( I know, I said that bad word, and on this forum) Its a great system and easy to use after you get accustomed to it. I picked up a new shwr. curb from Schluter this week. Did one of these foam curbs last spring, fast and easy. My distr. is stocking them now.
Seriously, the school is a lot of info in a short time. ENJOY!!!

Schluter has the drain in Brushed copper and brushed brass now. (wish they would make the nickel or pewter finish instead of copper.

Jim
Freeport, ME
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 08:12 AM   #8
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

JJC, I tried ordering one of the Schluter curbs from my distributor but they said it wasn't available. All they stock is the big rolls of Ditra or Kerdi, the drains and that's about it. It's pretty much CBU territory around here.

so maybe I'll order it from tile-experts, it's only a little bit more and I can try out the curb. Foam huh...whats the world coming to.
Unread 10-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I've got two of the foam curbs sitting out in the garage, right alongside the foam shower floors they sent me to try out. Problem is none of the showers I do are exactly square.

But you're right. They're going to love you down there when you start asking all your annoying little questions. I was somewhat of a pill myself.

Many of the people involved are mud men -- Cal, Dave, Andy Acker (if he's there) and team leader, Peter Neilsen. Peter apprenticed out in California under Andy Acker, who was a contractor. Peter then went back to school and got his degree. When he became a big wig at Schluter, he summoned Andy.

Jim, I hear ya on the pewter or nickle drain. Is that not the rage these days?
Unread 10-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Why couldn't you use the Kerdi drain with any other type of sheet membrane? I know the warranty is out the window but it would still work just fine.

I had the pleasure of using Noble TS on my last big mud project but I like the Kerdi better when it comes to wrapping corners. Its thinner and easier to keep tight on the walls. However the Noble TS is a dream to unroll on large jobs w/ its 5ft width.
Unread 10-04-2003, 03:54 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Of course you can use any membrane with the Kerdi-drain. Kerdi IS the easiest to use, though. And as you mentioned, there is the question of warranty, and Schluter's is top notch.
Unread 10-04-2003, 05:40 PM   #12
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

John, if you want to get rid of the Kerdi curbs I'll take em. Let me know what you want. And yeah it's real hard to have the drain be right smack in the middle, that would be too easy!

Another question; If one of your shower walls is exterior and you do the insulation and the poly vapour barrier and then the Kerdi waterproofing on that wall (over the greenboard of course) any issues with mildew and moisture trapped between the poly and the Kerdi?
Unread 10-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I don't think I would worry about a moisture sandwich. The Kerdi matting is a "waterproof" membrane, not merely a moisture barrier. You won't get a lick of water behind it.

Down here we use paper back insulation or no backing at all. Don't know how that works in snow country.
Unread 10-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #14
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
what does going over dry wall have to do with a drain???We dont have a drain but we do have a listing # w/ the uniform plbg code!!
Unread 10-06-2003, 09:34 PM   #15
Rob Z

Eric

Can TS be run (bonded) over the preslope and clamped under the standard 3 piece drain the same way as CPE or PVC?

I met a guy in Dal Tile (Alexandria, VA) with an unusual TS installation Q. I gave him your number...did he call?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase