Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Vmaxman

Curb construction in a Hydro Ban shower

I'm looking into building a shower using hydro ban liquid membrane.

I watched some videos from laticrete. They detail a curb covered with lathe and mud.

Would it be acceptable to build the curb out of 2x's and cover with CBU? Mesh and thin set the seams. Then apply hydro ban.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Premier Designs

Hi Mike, if you're wanting to go in that direction just set some forms and pour a concrete curb, easier, faster and better.

What are your plans for a pre-slope and pan?
Unread 07-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Vmaxman

Currently, I'm considering CBU walls, deck mud floor, Laticrete's bonded drain, and hydro ban liquid over everything.

The existing subfloor is plywood. Would I pour the concrete curb directly against the plywood or would I extend the felt and lathe from the pan under the curb?

Another question would be recommended cure time of the concrete curb before hydo ban can be applied. I read that deck mud should cure 72 hrs before application. I would think concrete would require more time than that. Ive never seen a spec for application over concrete.

Unread 07-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I would think Laticrete would have a detail for what you are asking and I don't think a lath and mud curb would be necessary for it.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Hi Mike,
Yes, that is a common practice to use 2 x 4s and CBB. I've attached a reference document drawing for you as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ES-WP312 Stud Curb.pdf (115.4 KB, 126 views)
Unread 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Ken
welchtile.com

Please do yourself a rock solid favor that amounts to cheap insurance, and not build your curb out wooden material. Use bricks or blocks of some kind. These should be bonded to the substrate with thinset.

Or as mentioned by another poster you could form up and pour a cement curb, however, what was not mentioned, is it should have some kind of reinforcement to the substrate. Think Re-rod, or something along that line.
Unread 07-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Vmaxman

Sharon, thank you for the response and diagram.

Ken, I like the concrete curb idea but I'm not sure how to anchor it to my substrate (plywood) with rebar. If I go with a concrete curb should it be poured direct to plywood (worries of water in the mix causing delamination) or should there be felt and lath under it?

Unread 07-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Premier Designs

I think some lags into the subfloor will stabilize it enough .. You can use a little mortar under the concrete also. I'd go right on the subfloor without paper, the concrete shouldn't be that wet to cause issues.
Unread 07-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Autoplay
Tile Setter

I've used concrete curbs/curbblock for years,and much prefer them over wood 2x4s.

Bonding concrete curb to wood,I would check to see if Thinset you using is made to bond to wood etc. I rarely/never bond directly to wood,and when I do,I use epoxy.

Before and after pics,wood 2x4's soaked from inproper vinyl liner/holes etc....after,using curb blocks. block size,2"x4"x16". I used Hydroban,and used fabric around perimeter of shower,at curb corners,and ten inches up in the corners.
Attached Images

Unread 07-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sharon's drawing is fine but it doesn't take into consideration that the floor will probably be out of level, which means your 2x4's will be out of level length ways. And, it shows the slight pitch on the top of the curb without showing how to accomplish that. Of course the CBU nailed to the curb will follow the 2x4's. If you aren't going to mud the curb like we show in the liberry, (shower construction thread), then it may be easiest and best to set a form and pour the curb with concrete. I would start off with tar paper and lath fastened to the plywood on the shower floor and let it extend out under the curb area. Set the curb form level in length with the proper slope toward the shower and pour with concrete.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase