Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Just1

Justin's bathroom remodel

In the middle of a new bathroom construction. Had a new window installed in the existing brick opening that the old window came out of. As the installer was leaving I noticed the window did not look level compared to the new framing we installed. Sure enough a level confirmed I was right. I brought it to the installers attention and he mentioned that he installed the new window and its frame following the brick opening. I told him if the brick opening was not square he should have used shims. He told me there was no room for shims between the frame and the brick but I believe there is. If the window has to stay like this, what is the best way to tile around it? Install the tile level and plumb or follow the out of level frame? Thanks in advance.
Unread 05-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Ken
welchtile.com

When tiling around anything that is not plumb and/or level the only thing that you can do is follow the edge of it as best as possible.

You really want to ensure that you install the tile plumb and level so that you don't run into problems. Making a series of cuts that follow the contour of the edge of the window that is not plumb or level is easy enough; hopefully I can explain how.

What I would do in your case is install the tiles around it plumb, level and true. Once the tiles are in place you can measure a few different points from the edge of the installed tile to the window opening. Then mark the tile with the dimensions you found and use a straight edge to draw a straight line from one edge of the tile to the other edge. You end up with a straight line, but for obvious reasons it won't be square but it will look as best as possible given the circumstances.
Unread 05-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I'll answer with a couple of questions for clarity which might affect answers.

Is the window in a shower?

How far is it off?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

A photo or 2 of that area might help too.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Just1

The window is 1/4" off in 3 feet. It's is square to itself but it isn't square in the opening. I'll post a pic as soon as I get back home. Yes it is in the shower area.
Unread 05-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
Kman

If it's possibly to fix it, that's really what needs to be done.

I know for me personally, if it was crooked and I had to look at it every day, it would bother me every time I saw it. Much easier to fix the problem now rather than try to work around it.

If you were able to see it before you put the level to it, you'll really notice it after the tile is in.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Just1

Do you think it will be very noticeable? Is there a way to hide it? I called the window place and they told me to call back tomorrow when the manager is there.
Unread 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Noticeability will increase the closer level and plumb grout lines are to wonky window.

What sort or tile and pattern do you have planned?

Our eyeballs and mind tend line up things without much thought. 1/4" would be noticeable to many folks.

What's the verdict from the installer?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
Just1

Well the window installers came back today to straighten out the window and I noticed a bunch of other stuff they did wrong. They removed the whole window from the opening and cut off some of the actual vinyl frame instead of just redoing the wood frame opening. When they were almost done I notice a gap of about 3/4 between the top of the window and the wood frame. I was expecting them to put an additional piece of wood there to close the gap. Well they didn't and just caulked the huge 3/4 gap. I brought it up to the installer but his English isn't that good so he said it was ok the way he did it. Also, the top part of the window which I believe is a drip cap which is supposed to be over the window is just butting on top of it. Hard to explain. Needless to say I left a message for the owner to call me back and either order me a new window or refund my money. I have had it.
Unread 05-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #10
Just1

I have another question regarding this same bathroom project. The contractor who is installing the drywall and cement board in did bathroom installed XP purple drywall 2" into the tub/shower area. He did this because there was no stud 36" in from the adjacent wall and we couldn't really put one there because of a vent pipe running vertically. I plan to use hydro ban over the cement board on the tub walls. Is it ok the leave that small area with the drywall and maybe tape that seam with Kerdi and then go over it with hydro ban or should it be replaced with cement board?
Unread 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's always a good idea to install a stud where two different materials meet. Two studs side by side is even better. Since you had a pipe in the way, a stud should have been added next to the pipe on the bathroom side and the CBU extended out past the wet area to the added stud. Instead, it sounds like the dry wall was extended into the wet area.

I can't say if it'll ever give you problems and it's not how I would do it but some installers would leave the dry wall where you have it and just Hydroban over it. That's up to you.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
Just1

What products are approved to waterproof drywall in a wet area? Hydro ban fabric?
Unread 05-08-2016, 03:37 AM   #13
Kman

That and kerdi are the only two I'm familiar with.

Unread 05-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Just1

So what would you guys do if it was your bathroom? Waterproof the seam with hydro ban fabric and liquid membrane or add a stud and extend the cement board past the tub area?
Unread 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Kman

I'd waterproof it with a membrane and move on.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase