Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
chad schreiber

Chad's fine new master bath project

Hi all, new to site. I have been lurking for some time. I will start by saying I am in the process of build a new construction master bath. I am looking for some advice on the floor install. We want to install tile over in floor radiant heat. I am having trouble deciding the best way to get it done. I will have a 3/4" t&g plywood sub floor over tji joist. Should I then lay put another layer of 3/4" down perpendicular to the first followed by cbu with the floor heat on the cbu? After the heat is installed I plan to lay Ditra the the tile. Any thoughts or advice? Sorry, by the way I am planning on using Nuheat cable for the floor heat and the total bath area is 135 sqft minus tub surround and shower stall.

Chad S
Unread 07-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Chad,

Welcome to the forum,

What kind of tile are you planning on putting down? natural stone? ceramic? porcelain? Natural stone will like to see 1/2" more ply wood not 3/4" but if you want 3/4" by all means that's just great.

In order of preference:

plywood
optional thinset to go with the;
Optional CBU, 1/4" is just fine
primer for SLC
heat mat
SLC
thinset
ditra
thinset
tile
happy homeowners.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
chad schreiber

Paul, thanks for the advice. We are using ceramic or porcelin, Not quite sure yet. Having said that, do I need to put down a 1/2" plywood layer over the 3/4" subfloor or could I just put down a 1/2" cbu over the subfloor instead? I would like to keep the height between the master bedroom and bath floors as close to level as possible. I know it can't be the same, but the least amount of change would be better.

Chad S
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Chad.

Your existing subfloor meets the minimums for most heating system manufacturers and for Schluter's Ditra. Some folks think a single layer of plywood, even over 16" joist centers, is pretty minimal and like to see another layer. If your top chords of your joists are wider than 1 1/2" you get extra credit, eh? If your joists are space wider than that, different story.

If you install more subflooring, though, the sheets must be oriented the same direction as the existing with the face grain perpendicular to the joists.

There is no benefit to using a CBU thicker than the manufacturer's thinnest board, which is the one they'll recommend for floor use.

Some, perhaps all, manufacturers of electric radiant heating systems will permit them to be installed directly on the plywood subflooring. I'd personally have no problem with that where Ditra is to be installed over the heating system.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
chad schreiber

CX, thanks for the input. Yes the floor joist are tji's on 16" centers. I also built a block pier in the concrete crawl space under the bathroom so I could install a beam perpendicular to the joists midway along their span thinking this will help with any deflection issues. As you can probably tell. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. For reasons unknown, I feel better putting cbu down over the 3/4"sub floor before the heating. But since my installation sounds good, maybe I will just install 1/4" cbu over the 3/4" sub floor then continue on. That should also keep the height difference between the two rooms minimal. Thanks again to those who are helping. I'm sure I will be on asking more questions as the project progresses.

Chad S
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
chad schreiber

shower stall install

We are building a master bath addition(see previous post). My next question is, what do you experts recommend for a DIYer to use to water proof a 4x4 shower stall? I was looking at the kerdi kit but have also saw the liquid type application. I liked the kerdi due to the complete kit but also understand that I have never built a walk in shower before and need to keep in simplicity. also, is there any recommended reading material I should get? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

Chad S
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

You can build yourself a great shower using either Kerdi, or one of the liquid membranes like Hydroban. I think both are well within the grasp of a DIY'er, and all information you need to complete the task can be found right here.

As far as reading material goes, existing threads of similar projects, John's Kerdi Shower Book, the Manufacturer install guides for Kerdi or Hydroban or whatever you plan on using, the shower construction thread in the Library, etc.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #8
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Chad...........

Your two threads on this bath project have been merged.

One bathroom = one project = one thread.

If you now keep all questions about this one bath to this one... new... merged thread.... tracking and reviewing your work progress will be much easier.

Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
chad schreiber

Thanks Dave. I will post all future questions under this thread(I'm sure there will be many).

Deckert, I am an avid DIYer and pretty good with my hands, but this will be my first complete bath project. Trying to absorbe as much info as possible. I am very interested in the Kerdi system. Just wanted to know if it was actually a good DIYer project or if I should be looking at other options. Thanks.
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdi is certainly a do-able DIYer project. We even have some girls who have done it.

Unread 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
chad schreiber

Paul, Good one. That sounds like a challenge to me. Now it has to be Kerdi!! Ha, Ha.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Man, Paul. Every time I start to really like you, you have to go and say something like that. It's bad enough that I have to drag Mr. Wendy along every time I go tool shopping so I'll actually get some customer service. I'm a freakin' research scientist. I don't just care about clothes and boys.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
bbcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't just care about clothes and boys.
I'm sure Mr. Wendy will be pleased to hear this.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Wendy,

My dear sister used to have the exact same problem. She is develops pharmaceuticals for a living. She discovered the way to get customer service is to wear the Harley Davidson jacket to the Home Depot, and the emerald necklace to Neimann's

Unread 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
chad schreiber

All right, I'm getting started on my master bath this week. I am going to use the 4x4 Kerdi kit with the presloped pan.I have one question. When framing out the shower stall, do I rough frame the stall walls to the 4x4 size or do I need to take in consideration the cbu thickness on the walls? I guess what I'm asking is what is the inside rough framing size? Thanks in advance.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase