Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-21-2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Tom R.

Question John Bridge or Pro - Schluter question Ditra membrane or cement backerboard ?

John or Pro, I need your help! I want to use the Schluter System
"Rondec" or the "Rondec- Step" My question is how much 3/4" plywood should I use ( 2 - 3/4") and should I use the cement backerboard or the Schluter "Ditra" membrane, or both. I will be installing 12" granite tiles for my countertop. If I use the Rondec system I will use it on the top edge face of the countertop, But do I need the rondec on the bottom to hold the 2 1/2" tile to the front face edge, Thinset will hold it ? Pros or Cons - what do you think will work best the Rondec or the Rondec-Step I have 2 inside and 3 outside corners. I have a U shaped countertop planned and would like to overhang it on one side for a eating area 8"-12". How much overhang would be safe with 12" granite tiles.
Thank you very much,
Tom
Tom R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom,

You need the Rodec in the three-eigths size, any color. Using it on the bottom of the edge piece is optional. The stone still needs to be bonded to the edge of the counter.

I would go with Ditra over one layer of three-quarter inch ply. On a bar overhang I would double the ply by adding another layer to the underside.

For the inside corner where the counter meets the splash you can use caulking or Dilex.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase