Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
riggo8381

Shower Slope Q?

Quickly just want to say how thankful I am for this forum, I feel confident my new shower construction project is going to be outstanding due to the info I have found here.

I am building a 7' x 3' rectangular shaped shower curently. I am about to set my preslope and would like to know if I should just assume a 3/4" drop toward the drain from all wall edges or try to make a less significant slope from the short walls (curb and back wall) toward the drain to make that slope less extreme?

Thanks!
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Kman

The standard is 1/4" slope per foot. You can have more slope, but you don't want less. Measure from your drain to the farthest corner and calculate your slope from there.

The size of your shower is going to result in a more extreme slope on two sides. It will likely be more than twice the slope of the other sides.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Codie,

A level perimeter on a shower floor looks great, but with your oblong shower, you may want to concentrate on maintaining a 1/4" per foot slope radiating out from the drain in all directions. It will result in the floor rising higher in the corners than in the middle of the walls, but the slope will remain constant and feel more natural underfoot.

Is your drain in the middle of the shower or off to the side?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Edthedawg
Wannabe Engineer Old-house-nik DIY'er :)

Bubba - I was gonna say kinda the same thing but thought i'd get laughed/yelled at I figure those 7 ft long walls could accomodate a shallow bit of curvature to avoid aggressively sloping the 3-ft width in an effort to maintain a dead flat/level intersection line around the base of the shower...

7-foot long shower - man that sounds big

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Edthedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
cbonilla

7' Shower

For whatever it's worth, my shower is 4x6 with shower heads on each of the 4' walls. With great water pressure I find that I can aim both shower heads into the middle of the shower and get a car wash effect. Make sure you have enough pressure that both heads hit the middle of the space
Unread 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
riggo8381

Thanks for the advice. I will focus on maintaining the 1/4" + per ft and see how it turns out when I start to mud.

7' shower will have a showerhead on each far wall with the frameless glass door in the middle. Drain is in the middle of the floor as I had to cut the concrete myself (dont really ever want to do all that again.) This used to be a linen closet

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase