Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Unregistered

Question Barb in Atlanta

Hello,

This seemed like a good site filled with lots of tile people who might be able to answer a question for me. I want to get rid of my carpets and get tile throughout the house. I ran into a site that has the most gorgeous onyx tiles in 12 X 12. I have not been able to find any info on the net about whether or not onyx will make a durable floor, whether it is stain resistant, etc. Any help?

Thank you!
Barbara Cade
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Barbara, i have never had opportunity to put onyx in although it should make a beautiful floor.Like any natural stone,they do require more care than a good porcelain tile.
Hang tight,weve got a few guys in here who are true Rockhounds.They even look like Fred and Barney
Unread 11-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Barbara.

I moved you over here where more people would see your question.

Besides, we know the very next question is gonna be about how to lay those tiles on whatever floor you find under that carpet, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Hello,

This seemed like a good site filled with lots of tile people who might be able to answer a question for me. I want to get rid of my carpets and get tile throughout the house. I ran into a site that has the most gorgeous onyx tiles in 12 X 12. I have not been able to find any info on the net about whether or not onyx will make a durable floor, whether it is stain resistant, etc. Any help?

Thank you!
Barbara Cade
Atlanta, GA
hallo barbara
1 1/2 years ago I installed two bathrooms with green onyx 12x12" on wall and 1x1" on floor in bathroom downstairs. the house is on Long Island NY on the water. I just was at the house 2 weeks ago and the bathrooms look still like new. the downstairs bathroom is used a lot.
if I would have the money to pay for onyx I would use it, because it looks great
good luck

http://globalceramicdesign.com
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
mrssnyder

In response to CX

Hey, how did you know that would be the next set of questions? You know I will also want to know about mortar (epoxy?), what happens if my dog pees on it, etc......
mrssnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
mrssnyder

Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
hallo barbara
1 1/2 years ago I installed two bathrooms with green onyx 12x12" on wall and 1x1" on floor in bathroom downstairs. the house is on Long Island NY on the water. I just was at the house 2 weeks ago and the bathrooms look still like new. the downstairs bathroom is used a lot.
if I would have the money to pay for onyx I would use it, because it looks great
good luck
Stefan, thanks for your reply. I don't even know if I can afford it yet (I've requested quotes on the tile and shipping), but I thought it was beautiful. I am thinking that if I can afford it though, of putting it in the whole house. I am wondering how everyday use will damage the floor....dog dishes falling off the counter, a bag of heavy groceries tossed on the floor, etc.
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
DreamQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I want to get rid of my carpets and get tile throughout the house. I ran into a site that has the most gorgeous onyx tiles in 12 X 12.
Hi Barb, have you priced it yet? It's extremely expensive.

Anne
DreamQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
mrssnyder

Tiler People in Atlanta

I also am very impressed by the professionalism I see in people's replies on this site. I wish I saw one of you with an Atlanta address! I am so afraid I will end up with the wrong person for our tile job. We did one ourselves a few years ago, and now I know why I would much prefer a professional to do the job. We did not do a very good job!
Unread 11-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssnyder
I also am very impressed by the professionalism I see in people's replies on this site. I wish I saw one of you with an Atlanta address! I am so afraid I will end up with the wrong person for our tile job. We did one ourselves a few years ago, and now I know why I would much prefer a professional to do the job. We did not do a very good job!
if you get onyx and pay the price, be carefull with your installer. let him show you a onyx job he did 1 or 2 years ago. if you don't do so you mybe waste your money.
don't get a handyman for this

http://globalceramicdesign.com
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

How come Barbara Cade and Mrs. Snyder be usin' the same computer?

Time you save up enuff dinero to buy that Onyx, maybe you'll have your dog housebroke, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #11
mrssnyder

Crazy Dog Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
How come Barbara Cade and Mrs. Snyder be usin' the same computer?

Time you save up enuff dinero to buy that Onyx, maybe you'll have your dog housebroke, eh?
I didn't change my name when I was married. I am one and the same person though.

I just received a quote of $9.40/sq ft. Hmm....maybe a bathroom sounds about the right size! I do dog rescue, and I have 15 dogs at the moment, which is why I want to take all of the carpets out of my house! (you can tell I love your little smilie buttons) Maybe now that you know I am a crazy dog lady, someone can tell me the best type of tile (that doesn't cost $10.00/sq ft) would be best for my household. Thank you!

Last edited by mrssnyder; 11-30-2004 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding more on.
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
ceramechanic

If this is a polished stone that your talking about then the dogs will tear it up quicker than you can say 'arf'. They probably won't hurt the stone but the brand spanking new shinney finish will look like pavement within a year.
Now if the stone has a tumbled or honed finish then wear will be much less noticable but the floor may not be as beautiful. This is a very classy stone and ususlly found in a master bath or any other room that doesn't house 15 dogs.
ceramechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 06:44 AM   #13
mrssnyder

[quote=ceramechanic]
Now if the stone has a tumbled or honed finish then wear will be much less noticable but the floor may not be as beautiful. QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't even aware that this tile could have different finishes. I have not been able to find any info on onyx tiles on the net. Now that I know the cost, the bathroom is about what I can afford, but now I am wondering about the best stone to use for the entire house. Before I saw the beautiful onyx tile, I thought that slate would be the way to go. My only concern is still moisture leakage, but I have also read that epoxy instead of a sand grout would prevent that.
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #14
bbcamp

If your house is going to be a dog kennel, you should be looking for a ceramic tile. Dog pee is acidic! Stone will etch, ceramic will not.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:06 AM   #15
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

ms barbara(in my best southrn drawl which aint so hot bein a yankee and all )
My reccomendation to you for ease of maintenance is to get a good quality porcelain tile and use epoxy grout for its stain resistance and ease of cleaning.You can dress it up by doing patterns,borders, inlays etc.You could even consider an onyx inlay somewhere the dogs are not likely to be.For the bulk of things a nice porcelain is tough to beat and will take the most abuse.There are some very decorative choices in this material and some of them come close to mimicing natural stone.Look around at tiles rated PEI 5 or 6.get creative.find a series that has several colors you can mix and match. Look at medallions for inserts and Use an Epoxy grout like Hydroments 1900 series or Laticretes spectraloc.
Now, if ya do this project when the peaches are ripe,you just may be able to get even a yankee to make the trip down for ya

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase