Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
La Galle

tile grout cleaning and sealing

Hello world:

I have just moved and found out that the previous owners of this house had never in their lives done nothing about grout cleaning . I want to clean, color and seal tile grouts.
I have been asking for some estimates to do this job, but they are absolutely out of my budget ($900), so I decided to do it by myself.

Step 1: cleaning the grouts. I have been testing the ZEP tile and grout cleaner and it seemed to be a very good product for this aim. I am also wondering whether it's worth to buy a steam cleaner to complete it. I'm thinking about one for domestic use, and with a budget of about $200. Is there any cleaner you could recommend? How many PSIs?
Or perhaps, only the steam cleaner may be enough...

Steps 2&3: I've been reading many articles regarding this subject, and I'm not quite sure about the procedure.
As far as I read Aquamix Grout Colorant migth be a good solution. Should I need any extra sealer "on top"?
Is there any other way of coloring and sealing? I mean: a sealer in which I could pour the colorant and apply it to the grouts. In such a case, I do not know any product of this kind.

I mst do al this work in the following 10-15 days as I'll be receiving my furniture by then.

Thanks a lot for your advice.
La Galle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-04-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Well, there isn't a colorant seal type system.Even if you use the (grout stain)the stain is better..you need to clean the grout,first.How about clicking on TYW store above for Klenzall..and get a brush on a broom handle..and follow the instructions on the bottle....simply applying..let sit for awhile..then agitating with the brush..and use a wetvac to suck it up.If it diesn't come out well, you can redo it..or use the grout stain.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

The previous poster (Davestone) is correct. You should try cleaning first. I worry about Zep Tile and Grout Cleaner. Many of these type products are fairly strong concentrations of acid and may damage glaze on the tile. Klenzall and a brush will probably get it clean enough without wasting your money on a steam cleaner. Hand cleaning with a proper cleaner will always get your grout cleaner than any type machine. Any cleaner you use should be VERY WELL RINSED. Protect all metal and glass and give them both extra rinses. We have been cleaning and sealing grout in Southern California for more than 25 years and have never found a machine that cleans as well as by hand. See my website page on grout cleaning http://www.tilesealing.com
As for sealing use Stone Tech Bulletproof or Aqua Mix Sealers Choice if you are satisfied with the cleaning result. If you get it clean but there are discolorations use Aqua Mix Grout Colorant instead. You will not need any other sealers as this product will color as well as seal your grout

Good Luck
Mike
Seal Systems

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Regis

Further / New Grout Cleaning Questions

Hi All,
I'm familiar with this post from the Floor Heating angle, as I am with WarmlyYours, the floor heating guys.

But i now need your knowledgeable advice for my shower tiles;

My remodeler grouted the slate tiles on the wall and didn't clean it very well. Some tiles have a lot of grouting on the joints, and some tiles have a skim of grouting over them. How should i clean this now that the job has been done for 4 months (yes, procrastination is the word here...)!

The shower floor is made out of 6"x12" "pebble mosaics". Pretty fancy, eh! Yeah, yeah, we make good money at WarmlyYours ;-)

But we're not very smart; i seem to see the start of cracks in the (unsealed) grouting. I think it's not deflection (3/4" plywood supports the shower mud-pan) but rather the lack of (read absence of) sealant.

Any magic tricks to get that ugly BLACK grouting off?

Thanks all
Regis
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

Regis:
The excess grout can be removed from the face of the tile with a mild acid. Do not even think of using muriatic acid!
The best choice would usually be sulfamic acid crystals, however since the grout residue is old the sulfamic might not be strong enough. Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid Cleaner should do it. The problem here is that acid by nature attacks the grout residue on the tile, but the grout in the grout joints is also attacked by the acid. The result on your dark grout is that it will tend to bleach the color from the grout.
To minimize the impact on the grout in the joints you should make sure that the grout is as wet as possible prior to your acid wash. You should also try to CAREFULLY scrape any thick build up on the tile with a razor knife. The mechanical reduction of build up will allow you to use a lesser concentration of the phosphoric acid. You can use a white scrub pad for the slight abrasion it will provide, but test an out of the way place first for scrathing of the slate.
When all is said and done you may find the bleaching of the grout will require you to recolor the grout.
MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE ACID OFF OF ALUMINUM AND GLASS AND OUT OF THE DRAIN!!! If some gets on metal or glass you will be ok provided that you wipe it off and RINSE IT WELL right away.
When the cleaning is done rinse it well while scrubbing with a soft brush to remove any traces of acid.
If you have any questions you can call me at 949 8585211.
Good Luck
Mike
Seal Systems

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
diego79

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Galle
Hello world:

I have just moved and found out that the previous owners of this house had never in their lives done nothing about grout cleaning . I want to clean, color and seal tile grouts.
I have been asking for some estimates to do this job, but they are absolutely out of my budget ($900), so I decided to do it by myself.
I agree with Davestone that you may want to clean the tile with proper chems before deciding to stain it. You'd be surprised how clean tile can come with the right chems and dwell time.

And just as a tip, most things you buy at HD are not going to be the best cleaners.

I would use Stonetech Klenzall (alkaline cleaner), let dwell for 20 minutes, scrub, wetvac, mop, dry and then Stonetech Restore (acid cleaner), apply, few minutes dwell, scrub, wetvac, mop and then probably a good idea to go over it again with an alkaline cleaner to neutralize the acid.

You'd be surprised what you can clean with that procedure.

-Mark Twain
diego79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Regis

Thanks guys;
This is of great help. I'll try that and keep you posted...
Regis
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase