Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Go Figure.....

Interesting encounter. Looked at a job recently. "Wood look" tile floors in most areas...no problem. Then, we have the shower.

Slab everywhere...reasonably flat. 3x4 shower and his wife wanted no curb. OK, I would either have to jackhammer the area and mud set it or, as I recommended, build up a "hump" with deck mud to give a "drop" to the drain. Covered with Kerdi or Hydroban and tying into the walls...either Kerdi walls or Trident board and Kerdi band at the seams. Wheelchair accessible over the 2" or so "hump" at the entryway. Done several like this with no issues.

Long and the short of it is that I was underbid and was told that this guy was going to use a 1" or so curb. Obviously, no "water in/water out" system would work here and a direct bonded system only makes sense. Still, with 1/4" per foot rise from the drain, which would be about 3/4" inch at the drain flange to four feet to the "curb," we're still looking at a rise at the curb of at least an inch or better. Love to see a flood test on that....

Still, I hate to see someone get "taken" on this technique, but I see no way it would work. Gave him a card and told him to call me in six months.....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That's about right.

All other things being equal (labor rates, profit margin, etc.), some components of a bid coming in lower than another is one that includes less work, less skill, and or less technical knowledge. Looks like this other big hit on two or perhaps all three components. Folks that hire skilled trades based mostly on price are tough to please, IMHO. Maybe it's a good one not to get?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Inclined to agree with you.

Called to give him some free advice on how & why a one inch curb wouldn't work on a flat slab. He got huffy with me because he happened to be at work.... Fine, make a $5,000 mistake. No skin off my back.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Unread 10-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You don't have to bust out the whole slab in the shower. You can taper it down, mud it back up with proper slope and do a divot type drain. I still put a speed bump (about 3/4 high) across the curb area to keep the door from dragging the floor.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

That was pretty much what I had in mind...

Although I had not thought of a divot drain. I thought to use a Kerdi drain and run the mud at the flange (3/4" or so) up to the walls and to the slope I had imagined at about 2" or so....and around the walls at about the same height......

Nice walls and a nice "wrap" though, Davy.....

Last edited by Lazarus; 10-23-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Unread 10-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thanks. I wasn't crazy about the pattern but they liked it, that's all that matters.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Just In Tile LLC

Tight work there Davy!!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase