Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #76
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Alan

I think Ben stated that his resource said to coat the backs of the marble itself with Laticrete's 9235. Nothing is mentioned in that thread about adhesives and substrates.

If this were a industry wide issue, I think the quarry's would start implementing a coating to the back of the problematic tiles.

I currently have a customer whose White Thassos marble mosaic shower pan is discoloring. As I did my inspection, I observed the thinset was wet, but the mud pan was dry. Conclusion was the damp thinset was inhibiting a reaction with the oxides in the stone. An identical pan was installed as specified by the same designer on another project with no reported problems of discoloration. The second pan was installed with a surface waterproofing system. I don't know what thinsets were used on each project.

I do believe that several steps should be taken, and none of them involve using inferior products, and none of them will be a guarantee that discoloration won't occur. Too many countries and quarries in the marketplace these days. Adding a disclaimer is the best option, or actually recommend a change in material, or turn down the job.

If you think you can't afford those options, consider the alternative.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #77
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

I noticed another thread started recently with a similar problem as I had in this thread so I thought I'd update. We never did figure out what had caused the yellowing but it has been almost 3 years now since the installation. The yellow went away and last I heard (spoke to customer maybe 2 months ago) it has not returned...knock on wood.

I have installed a dozen carrara showers since that one and have not experienced the problem again.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #78
newman

Town water...I live very close to two town wells.The tractor trail tucks go by with brown bags w/only numbers stamped on the sides of them...this gets poured into the well alot to help clean the water/pipes of rust an anything living in the water...after this powder is poured in it doesn't take long to hit us full blast..it's very strong...who knows how this is acting with thinset an nat. stone..I know the grass outside doen't like it....maybe it would pay to use bottle water when working with marble.

My wife wants our bath redone an wants marble...ghm.
Unread 05-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #79
Mega Builder

Row of yellowed tile

Did you install directly out of box consecutively as they came out. Or we're they taken out inspected, piled up then installed? If they were taken out consecutively and directly outta box, then it's a botched box
Unread 05-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #80
Mega Builder

Yellowing

I've had many issues with this tile yellowing and it always boils down to the type / brand of thinnest used.. ALWAYS! Moisture is a dangerous thing with this tile. In most cases is will go away but it also returns. This stone is frustrating.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase