Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
catch-n-on

Glass Tile corner edge

I'm looking for opinions on using schluter as a finishing edge for a glass tile backsplash with a granite counter top. I've been doing tile on my own for about a year. My name is Ed, and this is a great place to find answers to many of my daily questions. Thanks for opening this website. I wish I had found it sooner.
catch-n-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
madmax

I would just grout it. Glass tile is so thin and the edges are usually smooth. I think it looks betten than a plastic edge.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
New World Tile

What size is the glass? Are you going to float the splash? Are there any windows or outside corners?

There are lots of options but need to know more details.

Josh
New World Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
catch-n-on

What's float the splash mean? I was just going to use a V-notch trowel with gray mortar as the customer wants a dark grout. The size of the tiles are 1x1's. And there are no windows just one outside corner. When you come into the kitchen from the dining room, that's where the outside edge is. This customer doesn't have kids yet, and I'm just thinking about little fingers on liitle tiles.
Unread 04-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Ed.

Glass tile work is a special animal. Can't use gray thin set because it'll show through and ruin the color of the glass. Use white instead and make sure you have complete coverage, or you'll see the missed parts through the tiles. Also, glass tile manufacturers have specific ideas on how their products should be installed and which thin sets should be used. You'll need to get hold of that.

I agree with Max that the Schluter edge may not be the way to go, and I'm a Schluter man.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
catch-n-on

Thanks John for the information. This job isn't til about the 24th or so. And I'm just gathering as much info as I can get. I was going to use the white thinset but changed my mind when I saw the color grout the customer was using. I'll definitely go with white now. I would have never guessed you could see the missed areas through the glass tile. WOW thats unbelieveable. Thank you so much. The customer was going to order her tile straight from India. But I persuaded her and her husband to order from another source they were suggesting out of Dallas. The tile is from Bisazza and it's name is Nefertiti.
Unread 04-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
New World Tile

Ed

Bisazza Nefertiti is not transparent so you should not have any problems with voids in the thinset showing through. When using small glass tile I float everthing (mortarbed). The walls needs to be as flat as possible. With a 1/2" float I would angle a piece back to the wall to cover the float. If you go directly to the sheetrock the pieces are thin enough to just grout the edge. On the outside corner butt the two edges (with a grout joint). Use a full flex type mortar additive and a 1/8" notch trowel otherwise you will be cleaning grout joints forever.

good luck
Josh
New World Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase