Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
jess_lala

Best in Class Products to Restore Toothpaste/Cleaner Etched Floating Marble Vanity

This was floating honed stone vanity was installed last year in a guest bath with very minimum use. It is from a company called L'Antic Colonial and it is a natural marble in the Habana Dark color. We had guests over and it looks like whatever toothpaste they used left all these spots. On top of that I think the cleaner wiped it with a cloth that may have had SoftScrub with bleach on it, and it has left these wipe marks I cannot remove.

Unfortunately, a stain protector was never applied during the initial installation.

I'd like to restore and then seal the marble. Looking at the instructions that came with the maintenance kit, they recommend the Fila Marble Restoration Kit, however the reviews on this product are mixed and it looks like it may be for polished stone however I have a honed finish on this vanity.

Would love any advice on how to best proceed. Attaching photos of the vanity and maintenance product/instructions.
Attached Images

Unread 04-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

I’d go pick up a neutral stone cleaner before trying anything else. Toothpaste will remove the shine off a polished stone over a period of time, contact lens cleaner also does the same. Black is never maintenance friendly when it’s honed, enhancing can mask some things but isn’t a cure all.

Not familiar with the Fila conditioner but suspect it’s just a wax. Might hide the problem but won’t fix it. Try the neutral cleaner first.
Unread 04-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Unfortunately, marble is affected by just about everything under the sun. I second the neutral cleaner suggestion. If that doesn't do anything, I would suggest bringing in a pro.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
katilicous

Agree with John.
Most marbles are a half point harder than your fingernail on the Mohs Hardness Scale which means you can stain it looking at it. Can you take a clear picture up close of one of those white spots?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase