Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
Skyace777

Field movement joints rarely honored?

Hi All,

I'm always interested in commercial tile installs I come across and per the below images, many that I see apparently do not adhere to EJ171 standards. Am I missing something here? Curious what you all think about these images and if you believe they are or aren't following the standards.

https://ibb.co/Tb0TVNm
https://ibb.co/rpvVQp8
https://ibb.co/VvQTVDd
https://ibb.co/hggK195
https://ibb.co/vmC02RS
Unread 06-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
Skyace777

Bump. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Unread 06-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Al, you're likely to get better response if you'll post those photos as attachments from storage on your computer so they appear in your post.

I tried opening one of them and could have eaten lunch while it was loading.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

Since this is in the pro hangout I'll chime in, I've tiled my entire house with no expansion joints, even grouted against baseboards. Everything is o.k.

Do I do that for customers... nope I always caulk against baseboards or sometimes I'm lucky enough where they want new ones and get to be sloppy with my perimeter cuts..

In residential interior I usually don't have any expansion joints because the customer declines having them. Now exterior work I'm religious about them.

Bottom line is on this particular standard I know it's not a guaranteed failure and the odds are in my favor so I do play it loose on residential. Now commercial where theres miles and miles of tile yeah it should be part of the process but I guess some play commercial loose too .

On a side note I'll say the state of large trade labor projects right now is you're lucky to find someone who even cares enough to know specifics of their trade. Kinda the wild west right now
Unread 06-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
jerrymlr1

I yusta tile JCPenney stores. Never a single movement joint. They wanted it done and wanted it done now. I have walked thru a many JCP stores and don't recollect ever seeing any movement problems. Like Bubba says, exterior is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
Kinda the wild west right now
Always has been the wild west, always will be, until bad tile jobs become life threatening.
Unread 06-22-2022, 06:11 AM   #6
Skyace777

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like honoring standards is not a common thing then and people just hope for the best. Kind of sad but like you point out @jerrymlr1, if there's no safety issue involved people don't care as much.

@cx I didn't have any issues loading the images from the links I originally posted. Maybe your internet connection is slower? I'd post them as attachments but the board only allows very small file sizes and resolution which isn't helpful to see what's going on in the images.

"Jpeg images are size restricted to 50kb and 600x800 resolution.
Our site will automatically resize for you if the image is < 6Mb in size.
If larger than 6Mb, you will receive an error."
Unread 06-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Statistically speaking, from someone who actually tracked it, about 85% of the time you will be fine. There is a lot of lose sheared tile out there and the occasional tented floor. Real expensive if they can come back on you. Just had a case in IL on a floor installed in 2011. They lost. That was the oldest case I had. Any failure in the first five years you would lose Some states limit liability to 7 years and a few as I found in IL go 10 years. Calculated risk when you don't do it.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2022, 09:08 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I learned about movement joints the hard way and had to do quite a few repairs. Gobis will tell you, though, I learn just about everything the hard way.

Put in the joints.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #9
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
The majority of failures/issues I see, are caused by lack of movement joints. Somethings going to give!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase