Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
loves2read

How to clean this tile???

We bought current house in Dec '08. Tile was chosen by sellers when they built. There were some leftovers in attic but no specific information. The baths have mix of ceramic on walls and what looks like natural stone for trim and other areas.
This summer we were at vacation house in FL for several months. During that time a small leak in master shower head got lot worse - causing staining over half or more of shower floor. Not sure how to clean/restore the tile.
We got the leak fixed yesterday, but some areas of floor/grout are still damp.

We called tile guy we used for remodel in another house to come by to check it out. He normally installs only but did some research and said natural stone requires a ph neutral cleaner. He wasnt sure which product or how to go about it.
So I am reaching out here for some expert insight.
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
loves2read

Another shot
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
loves2read

Undamaged portion

This is the section where we step into the shower--dropped floor
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Vicki. That's the problem when cleaning stone. Anything acidic will harm the stone so it's hard finding a cleaner that will clean it. I keep a bottle of Krud Kutter in my truck, it's safe for stone but I'm not sure it will clean what you have. You can try it if you want. Let it dwell on the surface for 10 minutes and scrub it well with a plastic brush. Then rinse. It's going to be some work so don't be thinking it will just wipe clean.

It might actually take a stone restoration crew to clean it. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
cttile

Acid should not be used on stone. However I've used acid on slate and also on a shower like yours. Tumbled marble has a rough finish so the etching isn't going to change it's appearance much. After using acid always follow with a neutral ph cleaner because acid will continue to break down grout and stone until you can neutralize surface. Try starting in a small area on a edge or not so noticeable area. I may get blasted for suggesting this but liquid toilet bowl cleaner will actually work but be careful and proceed slowly.
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
loves2read

Do u have brand in mind?
And what about a ph neutral product?

Use cloths or steel wool or stiff bristle brush to clean the tile?

And if there is restoration company you/someone recommends in DFW TX area would give them a call...
Unread 09-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
pokerliz

Vicki, I've tried the calcium and hard water deposit remover cleaner on my stone. At this point it doesn't seem you have much to lose. That's a bad build up. You may try white vinegar and baking soda. It makes a bubbly paste, and they should neutralize each other. Try one small square first, with a toothbrush, and see if it works. If so, wash it all off and let it dry before continuing w/the others. If it doesn't work, try the spray stuff meant for hard water and build up. Leave it on a few minutes and scrub. See how it looks after it's dry.
I think if it works, just use it this one time to get everything as clean as possible. After it dries thoroughly, apply your impregnating sealer. From there on out, use a cleaner meant for natural stone and try to stay on top of the stains.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase