Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

My experience, Davy, is that a fella never uses a whole tube of KerdiFix in any Kerdi shower, but I still have a fresh tube on hand every time I start such a shower. May use only a very small part of a tube, but I want some available if I need it.

In my area I hafta mail order alla materials anyway, so adding the pookey is not usually a problem. I'd still not hesitate to use the SikaFlex in a pinch, though.

Same would apply to building a USG Durock Membrane shower, which has become my preferred membrane. Their newest iteration of their proprietary pookey is useful, but I'd not hesitate to use the SikaFlex there, either.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 04-23-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If it only takes a tube or less for each shower, it makes even more sense to stick with the K-fix, unless you're in a bind. I can see trying to save money if it takes 5 tubes per shower.

Edit, don't get me wrong, I have substitute products myself but trying to save 10-15 bucks on a shower doesn't make sense to me. I haven't done any testing but as far as I know, there might be a reason Schluter wants their pooky used (other than money). Maybe the Sika comes loose after 5 years in a damp environment. I can't see the 10 bucks being worth the risk.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 08-01-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add info
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For those of you building to green standards, the Sika Construction adhesive fails in a big way, nearly 3% VOC'x, to KerdiFix's zero. Used in a closed environment, it can give you a pretty good high (and kill some brain cells in the process!).

Sika says to wait 5 days before you immerse it, so assuming you're going to do a flood test as required by code in most places (but skipped by some!), are you willing to wait that long? KerdiFix is fine after the 24-hours Schluter wants.

Urethane is an organic product...KerdiFix is not...is it a great idea to use an organic product in your shower where you know it will get wet?

Once cured, it is pretty stable, at least based on the spec sheet. Not as stable as KerdiFix, though. Sika does make a similar adhesive to KerdiFix, as I've said...not as easy to find, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
cx
Moderator emeritus

Davy, I can't argue against any of that.

Schluter has said in past that 100 percent silicone is an acceptable substitute for Kerdi Fix, though, and I was quite surprised at just how well that did in my comparison testing. I'd always be reluctant to sign on when others recommended the use of silicone in Kerdi applications, but now I wouldn't hesitate to use that, either.

Really long term consequences of new "stuff" in new applications is always a bit of a crap shoot, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You know me, Kelly. I'm not one to argue.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
pooky

wedi sealant

out here in the wild wild west, a snausage of sika 1/A is about the same price as wedi sealant -- wedi sealant, similarly to kerdifix cures quickly . . .

I do like the workability of sika which is a benefit of drying time.

All that said, I use sika and wedi sealant and almost never use kerdi fix because of the cost . . .

If it's available in a snausage I am more likely to use it as the large cox guns are the only way to fly --

if you are using a standard caulking gun you are a trailer dwelling troglodyte . . . no offense kelly

atlas supply http://www.cox-applicators.com/ sells the snausage guns and because of the large nose cone I can pull a dried plug out of the thing to expose fresh sika after a couple weeks of sitting around
Unread 08-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Ron
Tile Contractor

I prefer the Wedi sealant too. $10 a tube vs $20. It's good stuff.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #23
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Stephen,

I am also a "trailer dwelling troglodyte," living in my RV while building my house. You'd better watch it, big boy. Next time I get to the Northwest I'll be looking you up.

As to using various sealants with the Kerdi membrane. If the seam or penetration is well above the bottom area of the shower, for example, it doesn't matter much what you use as far as waterproofing considerations are concerned.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

This has been fun! Still no word from Paul though.

Like has already been mentioned, you generally are lucky to use a half tube of sealant in a kerdi shower. I generally only use it where I might tear a pinhole or for added measure, like where the membrane overlaps a prefab niche. Given that I already figure for it in my quote, I suppose I should stick to the real deal.

That said, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over using Sika in the shower I just did.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #25
916tile
TileCoach

I like how the Kerdi Fix nozzles unscrew so you can clean them out if the tip starts to dry out when it sits in your truck for a couple weeks.

Have any of you used Kerdi fix to cover your washers like Wedi does???
916tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It's a lot cheaper to use Kerdiband and thinset to cover the screws on KerdiBoard, even when you consider the labor (I think). It doesn't seem to take all that long to do.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #27
Hank B.

Ardex ca20p is some pretty righteous stuff but i have no idea what it costs because they just keep mailing it to me.
Unread 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Indeed it is, Hank. It supposedly will cure under water even.

I get it for something like $16 a tube FWIW. Definitely still a cheaper option than k-fix. I believe it's silane based too. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can chime in on that.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #29
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Brad
It's a silane based product. I believe the CA stands for "cat's ass" but someone more knowledgeable would have to chime in on that. Its a great product.
Unread 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #30
hallt

Brad, never heard that, but that's a good one.

CA20P will bond virtually anything to anything and it is a Silane based product so it cures with the moisture in the air or under water. It will stay flexible when applied thick or will not allow any movement when applied thin. It is also paintable.

Just FYI guys. Enjoy!

Ardex Technical Field Rep.
Tile & Stone Installation Systems
California and Nevada

www.ardexamericas.com
hallt is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase