Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #301
arnav

Thank you very much for the feedback and ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
If you want to center on the window the only adjustment that I would make is to put a half tile on the right side wall. So it would be half-full-half on that wall. That way the corner looks like it's a full tile that folds around the wall.
I get it now. Would you still do that instead of the two tiles that otherwise would fit exactly on the adjacent wall? I guess i need to decide what's more visible and what would look nicer depending on where your eye gets drawn to first (e.g. have a tile that "folds" but 3 tiles on the adjacent wall vs. small tile on the back wall but two full tiles on the adjacent wall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
It would have been nice if the bench was built with the layout in mind. Having a sliver around the top of it is kind of unfortunate. I think I'd move the whole layout up to prevent that situation. Hopefully, the window will still look mostly centered.

edit: Actually, changing the height of the bench is the way to go. If you aren't able to build it to the exact height to work with the layout then simply making it taller or shorter is the way to go.

Typically, 15-19 is the finished height you want your bench to be. What if you added another row of blocks or bricks to the top?
The bench is not too low, it is an inch or so too high (meaning i need to cut a small sliver not add). It is 18" right now so I didn't want to make it any lower. It was constructed using the ("standard?") two 8*8*16 blocks and 4*8*16 blocks on the "flat." Either way, point taken, I'll see if I can adjust so that a full tile can line up with the top of the bench.

To ask differently then,
1. Will it generally be easier to cut the window opening out of two tiles or 4 tiles that meet at the center?
2. Any tips for marking a circle (or quarter of a circle) on the tiles? Do you pros use a really big compass? A string tied to a pen? Make 2 holes in a wooden ruler?

Would be nice to put the tile on the wall and trace the exact window opening on the back of the tile but I am assuming that cutting the tile from the back will chip it and would look bad overall...

Any tips are much appreciated...
Unread 06-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #302
arnav

Porcelain 1 - Dan 0

I didn't choose a tile layout yet, but came here to vent a little

I tried multiple porcelain test cuts today with a:
- old + brand new 4" Ridgid continues blade in a 4" ryobi wet saw with a clamped straight edge. The new blade was not dressed.
- A fairly new Ridgid 7 in. Premium Tile Diamond Blade in a 7 in. Ridgid Wet Tile Saw.

I tried with the tiles facing both up and down and taping the cuts.

No matter what I did, I got more chips than I would want in a visible cut.
The Ridgids served me really well for marble but I guess porcelain is a whole different ball game.

I ordered a 4" Pearl Abrasive P5 Thin Mesh Blade so hopefully I'll get better results with that one.

Last edited by arnav; 06-25-2022 at 09:29 PM.
arnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #303
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Make a sample board with the cut tiles along with the grout you plan to use to see if the chips will be noticeable.

If you do find a 4 inch blade that cuts well, I doubt it will last for the whole job. But, I've been wrong before.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #304
arnav

Thx. I just ordered a Hot dog MK-225 4" Blade as well, so hopefully between the mesh and non-mesh one of them will do the trick.
Unread 06-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #305
arnav

1. Can you install fixed shower glass where tiles meet? If so, I can hide one vertical seam to form a continues 8' of tiles (pictured below). Of course the seam will be visible between the top of the glass and the ceiling.

2. As a pro, while not ideal, would you ever try and cut a window opening as pictured below with 3.25" remaining at the smallest part? I know porcelain is strong, but I don't know how strong.

Its tempting to install the tile first and then cut the opening with a diamond bit on a rotozip..
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #306
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Myself, I would center the tile layout with the window. Your eye goes right to the window when you walk in so that's why I'd center the layout on it.

3 1/4 inches might want to break, it wouldn't be an easy cut to make but probably not impossible.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-26-2022, 10:29 PM   #307
arnav

DThanks Davy. You can see the two layouts I am considering with the round window centered here:

Layout 1: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...&postcount=290

Layout 2: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...&postcount=291

What do you think?

Attached below is a layout that I think improves on the one from the last post.
1. Most of the middle vertical grout line will be hidden by the fixed shower glass.
2. Two of the rows line up to the large square window on the left as oppose to the round window. There will be a visible 3/4" seam above the round window without a corresponding one in the tiled row above and below but maybe a good matching grout color can camouflage it a little. You can see the little required seam above the window.

I think the one attached to this post is better than layout 1 since the fixed glass hides one grout line. So it is between layout to 2 (centers around round window) and this one (3 - centers around square window).

Three layouts, three options. Analysis paralyses

Thanks for all the help
Attached Images

Unread 06-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #308
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd probably go with the 4 cut tiles centered up like in post 290. That will be the easiest and less chance of breaking tiles as you cut them.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-27-2022, 04:34 PM   #309
arnav

Thanks for the vote!

The Perl abrasive is coming tomorrow so I am excited to resume the test cuts.
To be continued...
Unread 06-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #310
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would lay out 4 tiles on a flat surface with the grout joints in place. Use a straight edge against the tiles to make sure they are straight and inline. Then find a way to draw a perfect circle for the window. I would nail a straight board on the wall and get those 4 tiles set. Then install the pieces below and above those window tiles.

Measure the diameter of the circle you need at least twice.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #311
arnav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
Then find a way to draw a perfect circle for the window.
I bought two different kind of compasses that can make 2' diameter circles.
I didn't know how to use them effectively, but with the suggestion to lay all 4 together, I will place it right at the "X".

Quote:
I would nail a straight board on the wall and get those 4 tiles set. Then install the pieces below and above those window tiles.
I am so happy you said that. I was thinking about it but didn't want to commit a tiling sin by tiling top to bottom.

Quote:
Measure the diameter of the circle you need at least twice.
You aim for the smaller tiles on the inner part of the opening to be on the outer rim of the wall tiles right? Or do you embed them so when looking head on you only see the wall tiles? Hopefully that makes sense...

Thx for all the help
Unread 06-27-2022, 08:17 PM   #312
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would want some type of bullnose turning back towards the window that would hide (cover) the cut edge of the wall tiles. My point was to make sure the diameter measurement is accurate and true. You don't want a slight egg shaped circle. I'm sure you know, you will need to cut it very slow and easy.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 06-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #313
arnav

Updates

Success! I guess it is possible to cut porcelain and get good results after all
The 4" Perl abrasive did the trick. See pics. New blade (left) vs. the Ridgid one (right).
Taping and flipping the tiles was not required. A metal straightedge made for very accurate cuts.

First I hate to admit that i realized (after reading the directions that came with the Perl) that the arrow on the blade need to align with the turning direction of the saw. For my previous 3 marble projects it never made a difference.

Right of the bat the Perl cut much better but something was off during the first few cuts. It felt like the saw kept getting stuck on something. I realized that the inner core of the blade was deeper (higher?) than the shoe of the saw. I was about to build a contraption only to realize there is a depth adjustment knob..

With that, I am a happy camper.

With my new found depth adjustment, how deep do you aim for the saw to be when cutting? As deep as possible?

I may call a few CNC / water jet places tomorrow to see how much they will charge to cut the opening for the window. It is tempting to have a perfectly cut circle.

Thx!
Attached Images

Unread 07-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #314
arnav

Remember when Michelangelo draw a perfect circle?

I decided not concede defeat without trying, and cut the window opening from 2 tiles instead of four. For now I pulled it off but the tiles do still need to survive cleaning the inside of the cuts, tiling, and installing glass.
Attached is the final layout. There will be a visible 3/4" grout line above and below the round window without a corresponding grout lines in the tiles above and below.
However, with this layout I am able to hide the vertical grout line on the left with the fixed shower glass which I think is cool. Meaning, I chose to have the small non-continuing grout lines by the window but gain an entire hidden grout line behind the fixed glass.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase