Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
retired

bad concrete floor

Hi! I'm new here and I really don't know where to ask this question because it doesn't pertain to a tile floor but I figured some one here could have an answer.
I have a concrete floor in my garage that looks like the skim coat on top has deteriorated to the point that the aggregate is showing through. This has made the surface extremely rough. I do not want to tear it out and re-pour it and the self leveling cement is too expensive. Does anybody know of any alternatives that are less expensive?

Thanks in advanced
retired

Last edited by retired; 01-13-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention that there will not bea any vehicles on the floor.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Got pics?

Some closer, some further away

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome. Please check your PMs.

I would think the self-leveling compounds would be even more expensive than you suspect as I would presume your garage SOG is sloped toward the doors a good deal.

There are cementitious resurfacing compounds available for what I think you have in mind. They're also not inexpensive for large areas, but you would generally use less of them than self-levelers. Google up Quikrete resurfacing materials and I think you'll find one or more.

Aside from that, I'll wait for the photos Paul has requested.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Big question is what do you want to have as a finished surface? Basic flat concrete, stained surface or tiled surface?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase