Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
melissadurante

Thanks for the info. The chip is less than the size of a matchstick head so I think I will try and mask it. I'm going to grout and see how it looks from there. I also found a product called ceramifix which got really good reviews online.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
melissadurante

So, I ended up buying another box of this tile and decided I want to take out the chipped tile. I haven't grouted yet. Also, my tile is 4" by 24". Can someone tell me the best way to remove this tile without damaging the surrounding tile??
Should I try to break it out??? Is porcelain too strong for this???

Thanks
melissa
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Melissa,

When removing a tile, usually one of the biggest problems you need to concern yourself with is avoiding inadvertent damage to other tiles.

Normally, "dividing and conquering" is a good conservative method. For me, it involves using a grinder outfitted with a diamond blade to cut through the tile in several places so that I can pry out smaller sections at a time. It also allows an initial place to insert a prying tool (between two pieces of the same tile) rather than placing it up against an adjacent good tile that would otherwise be in danger of chipping.

From your previous post, it sounds like the tile has been set for one week. Is this correct? And can you tell us what your substrate is and what thinset you used? That will help us give you more specific advice.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Breaking a tile is one way to start getting it removed, Melissa….. but if you decide to try this method using a hammer, automotive muffler cutter, hammer drill or other method.... be sure to wear safety glasses, gloves and a long sleeved shirt or jacket.

Ceramic has a way of shooting back when struck. :--)

If your un-grouted joints are wide enough..... a "Fein" or other vibrating multi-tool with a wide cutting blade may be worked beneath the tile edges deeply enough to pop it loose from the floor.

At any rate.... the multi-tool works well for removing dried thinset left behind.

PS: During tile removal it helps to protect adjacent tiles by covering them with multiple layers of blue painters tape.

PPS: Bubba's method of cutting the tile sound good too.

Last edited by Dave Taylor; 08-29-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
melissadurante

Thanks for the info...I wanted to avoid taking up the two tiles in front of the two tiles I need to remove but I think that might be my best bet as these tiles are at the "end" and I can get a chisel under them.

yes, my tiles have been down for about a week. I used a thinset that the tile store sold to me. I need to pick up another bag with my new box of tile, as well...so i don't remember what type/brand it was.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Tool Guy - Kg

Even though you're prying these tiles from an open end, I'd still want to do some cutting through the tile to assist in their removal.

What did you use for cement board? If it's HardieBacker board, we need to warn you about how it loves to delaminate when tile is pried up from it. While this delamination greatly assists in removing the unwanted tile, the delamination often extends under other tiles you wanna keep. And that's not good.
Delamination under good tiles = tiny vertical gap.
Tiny vertical gap = unsupported tiles.
Unsupported tiles = possible cracked tiles down the road.

Unread 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
melissadurante

Input on dye lot issue

Okay...so the tile store I bought my tile from...glass mosaic and porcelain plank ..seemed to have sold me more EXTRA on the mosaic than on the porcelain.

I had chipped 2 porcelain tiles...took them out...but was still cutting it very close being that i broke a few tiles tryng to rip them 1" wide...whichI ended up "mastering" using my small wet saw.

SO, I ordered an additional box and in the back of my head I thought about the possibility of the color being off.

I installed the rest of the tile and there IS a color difference.

What can I do...not gonna call the tile store...i guess this was my fault.....but I would think the salesman would ask me for the dye lot info on the box.

Any input????

Anyways, just so hapens the 1" pieces are butted up against my cabinet toe kick and the 4 discolored full tiles will be covered with a carpet runner...

But I can't deny that I am upset. Guess I'm just venting....

otherwise, my tile job came out pretty nice....even joints...minimal lippage...and square
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Tool Guy - Kg

Hi Melissa,

You've got a few different threads and not immediately making out which is which, so I don't remember the background info. Sorry.

But if you've got a box of tiles that don't match because of a different dye lot, have you checked into finding another box that does match? I know it's a pain, but can you simply swap out the offending tiles?

Unread 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Can you hide the bad tiles in a closet? Under the stove or fridge?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
melissadurante

Thanks for the input, guys. the tile is laid ...I really don't want to take up any more tile. What a PITA!

But yeah, most of the tile will be under a floor runner....it's a galley kitchen.

The tile is a maple look porcelain...the original tile has a slightly more orange tone than the new box. My boyfriend says I am imagining things but I think he is just trying to be nice.

Anyways, if I had just left the 2 chipped tiles in...aka not being so anal.....the off colored tiles would only have been the 1" slivers at the toe kick which you can't see anyways.

So, guess the lesson I learned is not to be so damned anal...and that it is an imperfect world.

Still bummed, though.....
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #26
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Melissa,

1- Welcome to our world.

2- Hug the BF, he's a keeper.

Unread 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
melissadurante

lol Paul...but check this out...

I go on the terrace and I have 2 full tiles from the original batch that I took up getting at the chipped tiles I replaced.

What do you think???...i can chip off the thin set.....take up 2 tiles of the 4 that are off color and replace 2 with those tiles I found.

Am I being too "crazy" now???? What do you think???

And also....I used possibly too much thinset because when i took out the tiles to replace the chipped tiles....one tile got a chip on the side because the thinset was stuck to it...so...with my luck I may very well end up chipping tile taking up 2 of the offending pieces.

Ugh!!!! I think I should just throw a runner on top of it and call it a day, no????

Melissa
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Yes its possible but if you chip a 'good' tile getting the 'bad' tile out....

choose wisely grasshoppah

Unread 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
melissadurante

lmao Paul! I think I am going to throw in the towel....and if I still can't sell my place a few years from now, I will redo the floor.

Guess it was unrealistic to expect perfection when this was my first floor....it ain't easy being me!!! haha

On a side note, back in 2008 I needed my bathroom tiled and I hired someone from here...God, I don't remember his name....but my tile came out perfect!!!

My kitchen was only 26 square feet....so I wanted to tackle it on my own
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

We all learn by doing.

Its great that you took the plunge.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase