Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
gcomstock

Question How to find a tile pro in Orange County CA?

First post howdy! I'm George.

Y'all have a great group of helpful, perky folks here.

Having already searched for "classified," "referral" and a few other terms...is it correct that you don't have such a forum? Despite all the can-do spirit around here, I'd still like to hire someone for the small tasks at my home in Tustin (about 10 miles from Disneyland...I can hear the fireworks each night at 9:30 )

So, any generic advice about sourcing a pro is appreciated, and of course "call this person...they are great" would work. Part of the challenge will be dollars (isn't it always?) and the other will be getting someone interested in a "crummy job." Basically I'm not looking to do much / any new installation...but instead to refurbish and repair various tiled surfaces. If you twist my arm with "you should do that yourself" recommendations...I'm listening.

Just in case, here's the overview on the job.

1. Kitchen: tile floor seems ok (maybe just seal / reseal it?); 20 feet of counter need regrouting and sealing and a couple cracked tiles replaced. Here's the deal: the tile seems sound, but I want to replace the sink; 20 year old installation probably means matching quarter round and fill pieces cannot be found, so the thought is to choose an accent color for the sink surround and carry that into a new backsplash (to replace the current single row of 6" tiles.

2. Powder room: tile is decent neutral colored 6" with two exceptions: the toilet wobbles and before replacing it I want to make sure the tile job isn't the problem; but my main grief is that the designer decided to place four "decorated tiles" among the array, and the design is a horrible, dated "clip-art" image of fruit and flowers. If those four tiles could be replaced (or even better...just the image can be removed...the all I'd need is some up-spiffing (grout? seal?).

3. Bathroom: full height bath surround seems decent, but the grout / sealant at tubline has broken down and is (hopefully...nearly ready to start, rather than already ) letting water behind. A plumber is going to change out the showerhead, faucet and controls...but I'm not sure if tile damage will result.

5. Bathroom #2- stall shower tile seems fine, and maybe just needs a little TLC and sealing? However, I'm thinking of replacing the glass shower enclosure which might require a little tile work.

5. Entry foyer: tiny area with 8" tiles (40 of them). It's in perfect condition...but the design is some kind of weird brown / orange design that looks dated and ugly to me. Please don't shoot me...but I'd considered simply covering it with some laminate wood product rather than incurring the cost of replacement. But tile would be better.

In my ignorance, all the odds and ends look like 20 man-hours or what?

FYI- this is on-slab construction. The overall marketplace in my area seems very high-priced (two bedroom townhomes are north of $300K) and there is lots of new home construction going on. So the pros seem to be busy, and the only classified ads are the typical "no job too small" jack of all trades / jackleg types.

Should I ask plumbers for referrals, or request same from the Dal-tile or other tile stores? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
gcomstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi George, Welcome aboard.

We used to have a classifieds, but it received so little use, we discontinued it. So this is as good a place as any.

Yep, crumby job. I would start thinkin handyman. A real full-time tile contractor would have to rape you in order to make any money on it. And yes, think DIY too. We can help you one item at a time, say the sink and the splash.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

My best advice for small work like that is to ask your neighbors for a reference. In our block, there is a handyman that is working on the block nearly every day for one neighbor or another. Indeed, he is so trustworthy, he has the keys to most of the homes in the area. Ya'all need to find a guy like that. Ask around.

Also, go to DalTile and ask one the guys there for a handyman type. They know the pros from the idiots.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase