Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-10-2022, 01:28 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thought that might be the case. I've combined the threads here for continuity and a moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

If you've contracted with a tile "professional", and if said professional set that drain, I'd be contacting her to ask just why the drain was set that way and what the plan is for correcting the problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #17
Boston2

I do plan on asking him why it is set that way and what is the solution to correct. To prepare myself for the answer or to consider other options, do you have any thoughts on whether or not the drain grate assembly can be removed without significant damage to the membrane, the tray, the Kerdi drain. That is the only solution I see, short of removing and replacing everything.
Unread 07-10-2022, 08:50 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Presuming that white material we see around the drain is thinset mortar, I think it's possible you can break that center piece loose and possible push it down where it belongs, but I haven't installed a Kerdi drain for a while and am not entirely sure of my answer. And whether you'll be able to get the drain grate low enough for your floor tile is also in question.

My greater concern, though, is why the drain was installed as it was in the first place. It almost appears that your tile contractor has no real idea how a Kerdi shower is built and plans to make a second mortar bed on top of your Kerdi floor as though building a traditional shower receptor. That's just a guess, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 07-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #19
Boston2

I was wondering as well if he was planning to put a second mortar bed on the foam tray. I realize you stated you have not installed Kerdi in awhile, but do you know if he did that would that even drain properly? Any Kerdi installers want to chime in?
Unread 07-11-2022, 01:03 AM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

No, it would not drain properly. That's my concern.

Unread 07-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #21
Boston2

So relieved...the drain was not permanently set and it was not his intent to lay a second mortar bed! The collar (for height adjustment) with grate was temporarily set there and the excess thinset from setting the ring was holding it in place but it easily snapped right out. We talked through the installation and the tile is being set on the membrane as it should be with the grate pushed down to be level with the tile. We are doing a flood test right now.

Sorry for jumping on here in a panic but we have hired highly recommended contractors for multiple projects and we've had some crazy scenarios of things done wrong or claimed to be done right but still creating issues. I've vetted all the contractors from sources including our local town Facebook forum, contractor provided references, BBB reviews. I've also made myself familiar with the products and processes so I can speak intelligently about the projects during the vetting process. This is a wealthy area with lots of major renovations going on and trying to get anyone to do work is difficult. Our projects don't compare in size or scope to what contractors can pick and choose from.

I appreciate your time!
Unread 07-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #22
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
In the amount of time since this started, Noble could have custom made it to size, for what ever drain you wanted to use, pre-waterproofed and suitable for tiles less then 2"x2"..
Unread 07-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
Boston2

Hi Eric
My concerns noted above wasn't for the foam tray. However, Noble was the first company I called once we received the variance approval. I was told lead time was 4-5 weeks which we just could not afford to wait. We were at a standstill from Feb-June with the variance . If not approved, we potentially would have decided to settle for a low height tub and move the drain location back. Massachusetts has been approving a variance to allow continued use of a 1 1/2" drain for a tub to shower conversion. However it has been under discussion recently and we couldn't be 100% certain how it might go so work was at a standstill.
Unread 07-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #24
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Suzanne,

I would pull the grate and collar up and see what's keeping it from going down. There is not much of it that can be stuck. You're looking at just about all of the black collar.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase