Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Allyn B

Slate Shower

I will have to say I found this forum a year or so ago and have done research w/ it on my last projects! So thank you for all the help you have supplied in the past.
We have recently purchased my next project (our new house) and I want to put slate tiles in the shower. Lurking around online, I have seen yes’ and no’s as far as
Installing a complete slate shower. Most of the no’s involved the type or quality of slate. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that has some leftover slate from his
house project a couple of years ago. His slate has been on his kitchen floor for almost 3 yrs. There has been no spalding, cracking, dusting or any problems what so ever.
He said it was very high grade, expensive slate… roughly 4.99 a tile I believe… With this little bit of info, does it sound like a good idea to use this in my shower?
It will be a seldom used guest shower. If I seal it well after install….. what do the pro’s think?
Thanks for your insight!
Allyn B
Allyn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Mike2

That might be some good stone, Allyn.

Tell you what. Put a piece or so in a bucket of water and let it soak for a couple days. Then pull it out and wipe it off with a towel to see what happens. The bad stuff, like some Chinese and a lot of the east Indian slate you've read about here, will begin to dissolve and turn to mud. That you'll not want in your shower.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Allyn B

Thanks Mike,
I was perusing after posting, and I saw the bucket trick. I am heading out to pick up the tiles tonight, before he changes his mind about me using them! I will drop one in a bucket once I am home.

Thanks again!
Allyn
Allyn B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

I personally have never seen the problem that many have experienced. However, doing the bucket test is a good way to know what will happen.

You will want to make sure you use a good high quality sealer on the stone and also know that there will be a little more cleaning and up keep required with slate in the shower.

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase