Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Paul-Hudge

Penny Tile on Kerdi Shower LTS

All,

I'm just about ready to start on a shower remodel. I have spent a significant amount of time researching the different shower pan and water proofing systems and have decided to move forward with the Schluter Kerdi system. The footprint for my shower is 72" x 36" so I was planning on using the premade Kerdi Shower ramp to develop my floor slope and securing tile directly to the Kerdi once all shower surfaces are properly covered and made water tight with Kerdi. I'm planning on using penny round tile on the floor.

John I did purchase the book but didn't see this specific topic addressed. My concern is that the small diameter tile wouldn't distribute weight sufficiently like a large tile which would untimely cause the grout to crack since the substructure is a foam board. I spoke with Schluter and they said there is minimum tile size as long as chairs and wheel chairs are not used.

I'm looking to do this once and want the installation a long time. Have others had good success with the Kerdi board and penny round on floor installations or should I plan on installing a dry mortar base and cover that with the Kerdi membrane instead?
Unread 03-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Paul.

I've separated your thread from the Kerdi Shower Book thread to its own project thread.

Lots of folks have installed penny tiles over Kerdi, some even over the Schluter foam shower trays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Schluter and they said there is minimum tile size as long as chairs and wheel chairs are not used.
I think you missed the word no in there, did you not? I know of no minimum tile size requirement in that application from Schluter.

That said, I would still recommend you create your sloped shower floor using deck mud. Get the proper slope, get a much stronger floor, and save a chunk of dinero.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
Paul-Hudge

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and feedback. Yes you are correct that I missed the word "no" in relating my discussion with Schluter.

If I proceed with the deck mud I still want to use the Kerdi Line Drain system and Kerdi membrane. The foam insert for the Kerdi drain is ~5/8" of an inch tall. What is the recommended minimum thickness for deck mud and I suspect you would recommend lath or chicken wire.

Paul
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hi Paul

Recommended deck mud thickness is 3/4" off floor. With the kerdi drain we normally put it 3/4" off the subfloor. Line drain I never actually measured the foam insert but if you say it's 5/8" I believe you. I have used quite a few kerdi line drains with the foam insert. Now with that being said your line drain body is going to sit atop that foam and your kerdi attached to the line drain will overlap the kerdi coming down over the mud bed once that has kerdi on as well.

With all that being said it looks like you will end up about 3/4" roughly off the floor with mud at your line drain.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase