Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
shootrj2003

Resto

I rent long time lesser so I restore when possible ,the house has old tile from 70’s no one has its match so I had to remove clean and reuse,I actually read where it is fruitless to do but this is not true,just takes lots of scraping and cleaning.oh,and learning curve to remove tiles without breaking them! The 1st bathroom I broke a few,I adapted and improvised. This one I broke none ,so far cleaned &stripped every tile,my question is this,after soaking for two weeks in cleaner and rinsing I am sure they absorbed much water,is it better to dry them out before retiling or can I apply them still wet,after all Mapie thinset is water based so will being damp help them bond better to the thinset? I am waiting for the answer so they might dry out but for future use I am curious.
By the way after some mistakes and the learning curve ,I actually like tiling wish I picked it up when I was 10 ft tall and bullet proof when I was framing.
Unread 03-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hi John Sure if you have the time and patience to remove tiles and clean them then it's not fruitless. Seems you will bear fruit here. If you have soaked them for 2 weeks they have absorbed moisture yes. I would certainly let them dry out a few days so you get a good bond to the substrate. Once you set the the moisture in them already and any that goes in from the thinset will eventually come out. I know when I put down marble flors in some cases they look really dark initially from the thinset and wiping, but over time the moisture comes out.

You were 10ft tall, wow. How much did you shrink

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #3
shootrj2003

Resto

I’m only 5’11” now,rough life..I don’t think I’m bullet proof anymore either. Thanks for your help ,they are drying. This is a cool forum my hobbies put me on others ,you answered me quick ,I have found sources for old tiles just not the right colors,there’s eBay too.Hershey,Pa. huh? My mom and Sister lived in Elizabethtown pa. ,I try to get there but my wife insists on N.Y. I don’t like it only because I’m not supposed to hate anything these days.lol
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #4
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Yes Elizabethtown is close, Hershey is a cool place very unique because of Milton Hershey. Speaking of old tiles you should see some of the tile work done in the corporate buildings d/town. About a 100 years old, phenomenal. They brought people over from Europe to do it in many cases. They had unlimited amounts of $$. Using old tiles isn't something most get into. More of a hobby, tile was my hobby at the start but developed into my passion the last 20+ years.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase