Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
parity_check11

Gap between wallboard when using slope kit

Hello,

Since I used a shower slope kit I noticed that the gap is wider in the center of the side wall since it is closer to the drain compared to the corners. It became more pronounced once I attached the wall board.

How is this gap handled? Do people build up the surface with mortar or drypack, or do they just use a lot of caulk and tile over using slightly curved wall tile?
Attached Images

Unread 03-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Parity.

Cut the wall tile to match.

But I immediately see a couple items that raise a little red flag. First off, the screws kinda look like drywall screws instead of deck screws or cement board screws that are far more robust and moisture resistant. Second, the position of those screws look pretty low. If you are building a shower, the shower liner is not to be punctured any lower than 2" above the top of the finished curb.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 03-02-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Parity. I fixed your signature so folks wouldn't think you were shouting.

You could do what Goldstein suggests, but my recommendation would be to remove the mud bed with those plastic sticks and make a new mud bed with a level perimeter all around.

Is this the second mud bed of a traditionally built shower receptor?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
parity_check11

Thanks for the observation.

The screw height is somewhat of an illusion, they just about make the 2" clearance above the curb. Most people seem to attach the wallboard first before pouring the drypack making the screws appear further from the floor. The screws are near the top of the 2x8 bracing, not any lower than the staples used to secure the liner. I went as low as I could because the corner creases in the liner were not allowing the board to sit flush against the studs.

I'm using waterproof hardie board and I will be applying thinset/redgard over the screws. The screws are green "backer-on" brand and approved for hardie-board.

cx- No chance I'm ripping up the mortar bed. There is both a preslope and a standard pitch. I thought about floating the sides around the perimeter to level up the shallow sides. I just wasn't sure if applying more drypack on top of already cured drypack is a good idea, or if I should just use some thinset to build it up and cure before laying any tile.

If I just cut the tile to fit does that gap need to be filled with anything or it can just remain open?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase